PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just stopped in to my local B&M, JR Cigars, here in northern NJ. And they have a bunch of different Rattray's Pipe Tobacco. Like 3 noggins, Accountants Mixture, Black Mallory, 7 Reserves, Jock's Mixture, Red Repparee, and a few others. What's your favorite Rattray's blend and why. I'm looking for something like an English with a bit of Latakia, but would be open to others. I know its a well respected house, but I've never tried their blends. Recommendations welcome.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hm. I've smoked a bunch if these, but none lately.
Looking back on old notes, I would pick up Professional or Highland Targe - or maybe Jock's - if I was going to revisit a Rattray's latakia blend. I remember them as being decent blends, but nothing that really rang my chimes.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I am a fan of their Black Mallory. It is somewhere in the mild to medium range for English blends. It seems to have a fullness/sweetness to it that may come from the addition of the black cavendish.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
If you like Virginias at all you should try the Holy Trinity: Old Gowrie, Hal O The Wynd and Marlin Flake. Old Gowrie is the sweetest, Hal O The Wynd the strongest and Marlin Flake is the most Perique forward. Rattray's is not as well known for their Latakia blends, but they have a few. Being Scottish blends they contain unsweetened cavendish. This is not the cavendish of Dutch aromatics, but more the cavendish of Dunhill 965, which is a Scottish style blend. Black Malory is a medium, all day type blend. Their Accountant's Mixture is a dark strong tasting blend without too much complexity and a medium nicotine content. It is a bit different and appeals to a limited clientele. The Red Rapparee is a very pleasant Oriental forward blend with the taste of old fashioned Turkish tobacco and little Latakia.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents. And thank you nachman for an excellent synopsis of brand Rattray's. You laid it out quite well. Especially the differences in Cavendish. As a Latakiofile, I think I'll pick up a tin of Black Malory to start out with.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoke the Rattray's trinity above, and also Brown Clunee, a Va-Bur-Per that deserves far more attention than it usually gets from the online community. The Va is a little sharper and more grassy than the other three, but the Kentucky and Perique give this blend a woody and dark tasting character. Interesting to note the scent of the tobacco from the tin is remarkably like... strawberry!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
hal-600x448.jpg

I have smoked Old Gowrie for a while but have recently been seriously digging Hal O' the Wynd after only a few bowls. I have tried Marlin Flake but it did not fit me as well as the other two. They also make a mild english called 7 Reserve which seemed to me like many of the other english blends out there. It was quality, don't get me wrong, but if pressed would rather buy Presbyterian Mixture or Squadron Leader etc. They are a fine brand and one that I will seriously cellar in the future.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Black Mallory and Red Rapparee are perhaps two of the true Latakia blend classics of all-time, but lost a bit of favor when McConnell took over the blending and now that K&K is at the wheel, the Rattray's blends seem to have fallen out of favor as collectables.
I remember when the Perth, Scotland made tins were the belle of the ball in the old Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris and their virtues were extolled by many fans. For Virginia fans who appreciate full flavor, Hal O' The Wynd is simply outstanding. And their Old Gowrie is laid back and naturally sweet without a lot of nicotine. My all-time favorite Latakia blend is still the old Perth production Black Mallory. But, whenever I see one come up on eBay it is out of my price range. Oh well...
Best,
Pipestud

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Three Noggins is a full English with a bit more oriental than Red Rapperee and less Latakia making it more of a Balkan in style . The Virginias are top notch and this has been a all day blend for me for many years . Pipestud makes a good point as the blenders change so does the formula . I find the newer versions need some cellar time for the flavors to meld together as they seem a little ripe when fresh .

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
So, Rattray's is more well known for their VA blends. But their Latakia blends are: Black Mallory, Red Repparee, Accountant's Mixture, Three Noggins, 7 Reserve, Professional, Jocks, and Highland Targe. With the first two rated highest. I'll be sure to pick up a few tins to try. Thanks gents for your helpful comments.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I'm a virginias guy, hence my favorite Rattray's blend is Marlin Flake -- a very good, rather unusual Va/Per.
One of the only two tobaccos I've cellared (Dunhill Flake being the other). Damn it's good. Can't speak to their english selection.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have a tin of Jock's mixture, but have only smoked Bagpiper's Dream. I believe it is a Virginia forward aromatic using a high quality bourbon. Very good tobacco taste, definitely can taste the bourbon and the room note is sensational. I don't mind English blends, but I have yet to be wowed by one.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
So, Rattray's is more well known for their VA blends. But their Latakia blends are: Black Mallory, Red Repparee, Accountant's Mixture, Three Noggins, 7 Reserve, Professional, Jocks, and Highland Targe. With the first two rated highest. I'll be sure to pick up a few tins to try. Thanks gents for your helpful comments.
I would stick with the non-latakia offerings. I smoked both K&K versions of Red Rapparee and Black Mallory and they failed to make an impression.. On the other side, every man's taste buds are different..

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another HOTW fan here...great VA with a dash of Perique...smoke it fairly often. I’ve never tried any Rattray English blend though.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Somewhat different than what you may be looking for but I "discovered" Rattray's Bagpiper's dream several years ago and fell in mlove with the stuff. Make no mistake, it is considered an aromatic but the quality of the blend is exceptional. Several different cuts, which I find really good for packing. It has a cognac topping that is just incredible. The taste and room note are wonderful and I can't recommend this blend enough. I smoke latakia blends 97% of the time but this one is a treat for me at any part of the day.

If you're interested, send me a PM with your address and I'll gladly send a sample to you. you won't be sorry.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents, and thanks papipeguy for the offer. It just turns out they do indeed have the Bagpiper's Dream on the shelf. Just called to find out. So, going on your recommendation, first thing in thd morningIll pick up a can on the way to work. I think I'll be able to enjoy a bowl on the commute and will get back to you tomorrow. Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.