PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Learned friends,
Anyone who own a Rattray's Old Perth pipe?
It is a wonderful piece, but I have trouble with the smoke flow.
I cannot explain it. Can you?
I observe three possible problems:
1. It gets extremely easy clogged in the bottom of the bowl.

2. There is a problem with this particular pipe.

3. There is a flaw in the design.
The Pipeshop says nothing is wrong with it. My gut feeling is a combination of 1&2.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Does your pipe take a filter? I have a Rattray's Highland apple take takes a 9mm filter but I don't use one. It smokes fine but it does tend to get hot. Also, I can't pass a pipe cleaner through it.

I'm not familiar with your model but I believe that mine was made by BC for Rattray's.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
The only Rattray's pipe I have had a draw hole of little more than 2mm. Drilling it up to 4mm was the first thing I did with this pipe.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Thank you!
A standard pipe cleaner just passes through the draw hole.
I do not dear to drill it my self. I am not handy, so to say. If I touch things with tools, they tend to get damaged.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
A standard pipe cleaner just passes through the draw hole.
Oww, that is too narrow..
I do not dear to drill it my self. I am not handy, so to say. If I touch things with tools, they tend to get damaged.

Same here, luckily there are lots handy people on the world :)
By the way, did you know that the Old Perth pipes are made in St. Claude on the original Chacom machinery?

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Don't use a power tool to open the airway. Start with a 3mm drill, put it in the chuck and turn it by hand, then the 4 mm, or even the 3,5mm, if you have one, in between. If the resistance increases, stop and take a look with a light, if you are drilling beside the actual airway. Always have a look inside the chamber, so that the drill does not go too far.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Peter70's advice is solid - I've performed this operation on a couple of my own pipes, though I used a Vise-Grip wrench rather than a drill chuck to hold the drill bit. If the thought still makes you cringe (I'm relatively handy myself), find a handy person you trust or see about finding a pipe repair person to open the draft hole for you - barely passing a pipe cleaner is indeed much too tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.