PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on Rattrays Old Gowrie pipes?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Rattray's Craggy Root 60, that I received for Christmas. The pipe is extremely light for it's size, clenches easily, and has an easy draw. The thick bowl does not get hot, and the inside of the chamber was raw, with no flaws evident before I started building cake.

I have been smoking Solani Mixture 131 Scotch Whiskey in it, and have had no gurgling or hotspots. Lasts about 60 minutes or so, with only a couple of relights. Each session with the pipe has been pleasant.

Based on this one, which is my first Rattray's, I believe it is a very good pipe for the price. So far, mine has been the closest thing to the perfect pipe right out of the gate that I have smoked in a long time.

BTW, I have been collecting and smoking pipes since 1975, and I own 84 pipes at the moment. Hope this helps.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks that helps. I am planning on buying one so that's good to hear

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
I've looked at the Old Gowrie far a long time. It is a beautiful example. Go for it and let us know how it works out.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
I'll let you know. I was thinking about ordering it from JR Cigars they seem to have the best price. I'm not familiar with them if anybody knows anything about them can you let me know?

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I haven't done any research on these pipes but do have a question as well. Who makes them??? Rattray's pipes have some very nice designs and look to be very well made. Thanks in advance for any information.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have the old perth series. This shot was taken when they were new, btw. They smoke great and they all passed the pipe cleaner test on day one. They're made by a french pipe maker, whose name escapes me right now.

IMG_0070sm.jpg

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
I just read on The Danish Pipe Shop website that the license for Rattrays is owned by Kopp, Germany and the designs are made by Kopp.The pipes are produced in different pipe factories through out Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.