PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been sitting on this tin for almost a year now and I couldn't decide what to smoke so I decided to pop it open and give it a go. Inside the tin is a colourful mix of tobaccos, the tin note is pleasant and I can smell the topping which to me smells of some kind of Alcohol (cognac maybe?) as well as the Latakia. The charring light was pleasant and I could definitely taste the Latakia, although it is most definitely a condiment, and the Virginias come through with a honey like sweetness.
However I could not keep this stuff lit to save my life! I opened the tin and left the lid off for a couple of hours while I did some running around and the top layer was nice and dry. The flavour was nice when I would have to re-light (many many times), but I would have to pull on it so hard to keep things going that I was getting a little steam burn on my tongue. It didn't bite at all, I just couldn't coax any flavour or smoke out of it. I tried it in a Brigham with a filter and then a Savinelli without the adaptor thinking the wider draw might help. It did a bit but not as much as I'd hoped. I haven't had this much trouble keeping a bowl lit since my first forays into flakes earlier this year, and this was possibly worse!
Anyone with any words of wisdom about this blend? I really want to enjoy it as the ingredients speak to me as being what a pipe tobacco should be, it just didn't deliver. By no means am I giving up but just curious if there are some quirks to this blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I haven't smoked any Jock's in quite a while. I don't think it's topped, but it does have cavendish in it. It's also fairly light on the lat, which is why I didn't revisit it. I do not especially remember having troubles keeping it lit. Not much help, I am afraid. Patience is always a virtue.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It takes more than a few hours to dry a tin, it's better to just take out a bowl and let it dry for a good 45 minutes. Maybe you're packing it too tight.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I wasn't attempting to dry the entire tin, I was just hoping to get the top layer dried out while I was rushing around. The layer I used to pack my pipe was on the verge of crispy so I don't think it needed more drying. It may have been a little tight on the first bowl, but the second was definitely looser so I don't think it was that. (although the second bowl was a wee bit better)
Jud - the light application of the Latakia is what appeals to me, I'm working my way towards Lat blends and having this mixture I thought would just add some smoky balance to the blend.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Sounds like the packing technique is the problem. Jocks Mixture is my all time favorite Rattray's blend. I have no problem with a freshly opened tin or a dry one. I find this blend to be a mild English mixture with just enough latakia to satify my palate. The cavendish tobacco really smoothes out the blend and the flavor changes nicely as you work towards the bottom of the bowl. If you are a lover of full, heavy leaf this is not a recommended tobacco, but if you like a smoooth, flavorful, complex blend of high quality leaf I would recommend this highly. Packing very loose at the bottom of the bowl and somewhat tighter towards the top works well for me. I have also enjoyed using Dr.Fred Hanna's technique of loading the bowl leaving an airspace at the bottom and compressing the tobacco into a tight ball stuffing into the top. This seems to work just great. I hope you don't give up on Jocks Mixture, IMO it's truly a special mixture.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Doc, that's the kind of advice I was hoping to find. I have no intentions of giving it up, in particular after just 2 bowls. I'll try the air plug method perhaps tonight and see how that does. Any suggestions for a pipe shape to smoke it in? I've tried a billiard and an acorn so far.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm working my way towards Lat blends and having this mixture I thought would just add some smoky balance to the blend.

It's probably good for that - just not good for an old lat hound like me. :D

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Another crack at this tonight and quite a bit better. I used the "swirl method" to pack the bowl nice and loose and I used an old basket pipe with a pot shape that is likely my most broken in pipe. Still not quite the flavours I was hoping for but it stayed lit much better for me and it often teased me with what it could become. The latakia really gives a nice hint of smokiness and I get a hit of sweet from time to time from the cavendish, a hint of caramel. I'm going to try it again in this pipe tomorrow to see if I can coax a little more flavour, I'll also try it outside as sometimes that helps me detect flavour vs inside a smoke filled room.

Status
Not open for further replies.