PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Out of the most attractive tin I have ever seen comes a very aromatic, and very flavorful tobacco. The tin itself is not vacuum sealed, and the tobacco is in a cellophane bag so jarring as soon as purchasing is a must. Upon opening the bag, a very natural orange sent is present, along with some vanilla, and is extremely pleasant. Moisture content seems perfect, but being an aromatic, I let it dry for about twenty minutes before lightly packing. The smoke is orange and vanilla, with a bit of caramel in the background, but the Virginia's sweet hay is definitely there. The black Cavendish makes its presence known in the vanilla, and the creamy silk volume of smoke, but the toppings never completely mask the natural tobacco flavor. There's a bit of a floral note that just borders lakeland territory, but never crosses that line. Will burn to the bottom of the bowl with little dottle and few relights, but will burn hot and just start to bite if pushed too hard. I would highly recommend this one to the aromatic smokers, as well as the Virginia crowd. A fine example of an aromatic done right.
Duane
img_20170125_135026-337x600.jpg

img_20170127_003208-450x600.jpg

img_20170127_003112-337x600.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Indeed, if I had to guess, probably a combination of lemons and oranges. Really pick them up in the retrohale.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Gotta get me some!
Great review, beautiful tin art. I'm not so convinced on the cellophane bag idea but I doubt a tin would last me too long anyway.
Thanks for the heads up!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Smokingpipes.com. My wife got them for me.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-gift-from-mrs-embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks Anthony, that's a Weber Deep Grain. Nicely balanced little clencher. It loves Exotic Orange as much as I do.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I dont often smoke aromatics, but your description/review has me thinking that I need this tobacco in my life. I love orange and citrus flavors in general, as well as vanilla. The TAD is strong in me!

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I’ve got to try that baccy. Packaging is beautiful and tobacco looks delicious. Thanks for the post Duane.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I like it too. Managed to grab one before SP ran out. Like most other aros it needs a little strength added to make it just right. It was good on it's own but I'm going to try it with some Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Must have been in the late 90's, Camel had a run of different flavored cigarettes that they marketed in tins. "Mandarin Mint" was my favorite of the series. I still have one of the empty tins in my toolbox at work. Each time I open that drawer and see that tin, I remember how delicious the addition of orange flavor to tobacco was. Seeing that Rattrays is offering this product absolutely delights me! Thanks for the review.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I bought a tin in August and it quickly became a favorite to the point that I had to forcibly stop smoking it everyday to make it last. Finished it off in December and found I liked it better than the Christmas or Winter blends I've tried. Fortunately I received a new tin for Christmas. Right now it is sitting in a mason jar in the bottom of my cellar.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks for sharing Duane. I'm in a bit of a pickle here as I have sworn myself to only cellar tobaccos that I know and love from this point on. My cellar is very wide but now I need to go deep and adding a new tobacco to the mix just isn't in the cards... but, you've got my interest with this one. Is this a limited offering?

Status
Not open for further replies.