PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
There is a Rattray pipe that has been catching my eye as of late, but have never really heard anyone talk about them. I'm ok with the 9mm, does anyone here have one and thought? Thanks..

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have straight panelled billiard that is a great VA smoker. Decent quality factory pipe. On a side note, Michael Parks really loves the look of my little Rattray pipe!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a Butcher's Boy and now a Chief as well, both sandblasted. I know they are made by B-C but I find them to be top notch quality. Easily on par with any of the popular brand like Peterson, BigBen, etc. I plan to get a few more Rattray's next year.

Reactions: IsaiahSojourner

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I've had my eye on a Chubby Jackey for a while, so I too would be grateful for the thoughts of others on Rattray's.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I have a Rattrays Lowland (pics here) which I really like. I have my eye on two more Rattrays that I would like to get.
Talking to my local tobacconist he said that Rattray just raised there price in North America by about 40% so make sure to look around to get the old price if you can.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
This is possibly the most vain and frivolous opinion ever: their makers' mark irks me. I hear generally positive opinions on them however.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Rattray Highland apple. Nice little pipe but for the money I'd get a Savinelli or Mastro Beraldi.

The pipes below are a Savinelli Spring 320 and Mastro de Paja Classica. I've found them to be far better than the Rattray and a few dollars less.

Good luck with your decision.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
I've got one Rattray's pipe, a Triskele diplomat, and I love it beyond description. It smokes on of my favorite tobaccos, Squadron Leader, as though the match were foreordained in heaven.

Reactions: BlueMaxx
Jan 8, 2013
I've been looking at them for a while myself. I'm not too worried about them raising the price in America by 40% when some of our site sponsors are overseas and carry them.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My Rattray's Craggy Root 60, bent billiard. More like a bent pot. THICK bowl walls. Has the 9mm filter, and is excellent with Virginia tobaccos. The stem is black Lucite. I smoke this pipe every day. Absolutely light as a feather.

1118F81D-A09A-461B-BCE2-F582C724C7E8_zpsc6ip5fbj.jpg

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I have a White Goddess which is a meerschaum pipe. Very beautiful lattice and a great smoker. I use it mostly for aromatics and it really cools down everything.

drsquat

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Bought a Rattrays Old Gowrie 9 of eBay for $ 40. It's a beautiful looking pipe and in mint condition. I'm enjoying a bowl of a Golden Slice in it right now. I'd definitely get another one.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have a set that smoke great. They are engineered perfectly. I just wish they had a bigger bowl and I hate how fast the silver bands tarnish.

IMG_0070sm.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
@leacha, that is an incredible set of Old Perths you have. I was looking at one of them at the local B+M but they had a $295 price tag on them here.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Would I recommend Rattray? Hmmm, not sure. I will not buy anymore, that is certain.

It sucks you had a bad experience but that new stem takes a good looking pipe and makes it beautiful!!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Very happy with the Chubby Jackey I bought at the Danish Pipe Shop in Copenhagen. It's pretty much a nosewarmer, but is a great clencher and the short acrylic stem gives it a perfect balance. The bowl is ample for using when driving and wandering around, without the need for frequent refills.
niIId2S.jpg

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.