PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,
Ive been looking at this Rattray pipe. I contacted the seller (on this site) and he stated the Meerschaum is from block and not pressed. Anyone familiar with this pipe or something similar as to its smoking qualities versus an all Meerschaum pipe? This particular pipe is 9mm filtered, which I prefer on my pipes. Thanks
rattraymeerschaum-lined1-600x300.jpg

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I just fell in love recently with meer-lined pipes. They provide an excellent taste and dry, cool smoke. I have a Vauen and a Brebbia and a White Star is on its way. I can only recommend it.

Reactions: anotherbob

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Brebbia Sun series, Vauen meer line and White Star Meerschaum line. Vauen and White Star are available in the Danish Pipe Shop. I bought Brebbia from the official Brebbia page.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
https://www.danishpipeshop.com/l/Pipes/-f,,,Meerchaum-Lined,,,,,,,,,,,Low-High
https://www.brebbiapipe.it/en/products/pipes/brebbia/sun
https://www.brebbiapipe.it/en/products/pipes/brebbia/mara-classic
https://www.brebbiapipe.it/en/products/pipes/brebbia/mara

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Hi,
Ive been looking at this Rattray pipe. I contacted the seller (on this site) and he stated the Meerschaum is from block and not pressed. Anyone familiar with this pipe or something similar as to its smoking qualities versus an all Meerschaum pipe? This particular pipe is 9mm filtered, which I prefer on my pipes. Thanks
rattraymeerschaum-lined1-600x300.jpg

did you ever buy this? what did you think? I'm still new to pipe smoking, with a few briars in my collection. A friend, also new, just bought a meerschaum lined and says it totally changed the experience for him for the better. The whole pressed vs. block thing confuses me a bit. Anyway, curious as to your experience.

Cheers

Jun 23, 2019
did you ever buy this? what did you think? I'm still new to pipe smoking, with a few briars in my collection. A friend, also new, just bought a meerschaum lined and says it totally changed the experience for him for the better. The whole pressed vs. block thing confuses me a bit. Anyway, curious as to your experience.

Cheers

Not OP but I'd be highly suspicious if someone is claiming a meerschaum-lined is block. From my understanding, all meerschaum-lined pipes are pressed meerschaum simply because of the production process. (I've emailed a number of meerschaum "master carvers" about this and that's what they told me).

There's another thread about this topic and the verdict seems to be A) it's a little gimmicky, you're probably better off with a meerschaum pipe and B) they do not last, every example of a meerschaum-lined pipe I've seen will eventually have a rising bowl.

Reactions: brunot and Drew72

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
If you're into the smoking experience of a meerschaum, get a meerschaum. The lined ones are fine, but I agree with lukas^^ that it's kinda gimmicky.

I own two Savinelli Ecumes (a rather short-lived, discontinued line AFAIK) and I guess they do smoke a little cooler, but you also get less space in the bowl and the jury's still out on how well it compares to "true" meerschaum. I know some people love them, but I don't think it comes very close.

As for the "lined with block meerschaum" thing, I wouldn't buy into it.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Status
Not open for further replies.