PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I had an hour to kill today so went to my local shop, "Smokers Paradise" and I had been eyeing some Rattray's on the top shelf for a long while. There was only one tin of Marlin Flake left so I pulled the trigger. On the price tag was a date code, dated 2006. A gentleman was making quite a pile of tins saw I paid for it got excited. " HEY YOU TOOK THE LAST MARLIN FLAKE!" he said. He said they age very well and that I did good in my choice. I said it was from 06 and his eyes bugged out! 8O
I have not tried this blend yet. I have a Stanwell flake pipe I plan to smoke it in. Any takes on this blend? Should I let it age some more would it just get better? I'm in no hurry as I have plenty of fine opened tins I can work my way threw before opening it.

Jul 12, 2011
It is primed for pop'in, let the flake dry a good few hours before

packing yourself a bowl...after that u are in for pure smoking bliss my friend
This is one of my fav blends, burned through many a 100g tin,

wish I had the power to let it age 3-5 years...maybe on my

next TAD order I score a few more for age'in ;-)

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I may age this a bit more just because I have so many tins open at the moment. Do you guys have an opinion on the nic hit on this blend? I am kind of a light weight when it comes to heavy nicotine blends. Just want to know to lay off the snuff before smoking a bowl If I should. I am a snuff-a-holic. I have found that my nic tolerance has gotten a bit stronger but just want to know what to expect.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't know if you need to age this any more. From everything I've read, after 5 years or so a tin stops "aging".
I remember this as having a slight amount of nicotine (I'm a lightweight myself) so I don't think you have much to worry about.
I think you're going to enjoy it.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for the input. I will open it as soon as I finnish off my last tin of flakes. Only a few left but I am not a daily smoker so it may take a week or two?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I reviewed this about 5 months ago for Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com. It's a Virginia / Cavendish / Perique blend, but mostly a dark Va flavor with a woodsy character. Nicotine is a little more than medium in strength. Like Bigvan said, you won't gain much by aging it more than 6 years. It probably won't improve noticeably for a considerable time to come, so dig in any time now. Charles Rattray advocated smoking his blends as soon as he brought them to market, without aging.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
This is my first Rattray blend so it is not like I would notice any thing as far as age. I just hear that Virginia ages gracefully? The date code was on the price tag the store put on it when they received it into stock. I use to do shipping and receiving for retail so I asked the clerk and he confirmed it. The gentleman who commented on my purchase chatted me up and is a member of a local pipe club. I offered him a toot from my snuff tin and he gave it a sample. We had a nice chat. One of the perks of going to your local B&M I guess. Local dudes who enjoy the same things chatting for a few comparing notes on this and that. Turned out to be a good Friday.
The pipe club guy had a pile of tins and about 5 pipes in his to buy pile. I was impressed with his haul to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.