PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
In stock @ Smokingpipes.com
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. They have Old Gowries too.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
They also have Wessex Burley Slice in stock! I’ve been wanting to restock that one for s long time now. Unfortunately, I spent all my money on that and now I won’t be able to try the Rattray’s one this time around.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Exotic Orange is enjoyable, but a bit too bright/sweet for me, akin to candy orange slices (which I love, BTW). The Heinrichs Grand Cru #2 is richer and fuller to me. A more natural orange experience. Priced about the same as the rattrays.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Opinion change?
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/three-oranges#post-1101930

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, after smoking the entire lot of both in different pipes. I ended up liking the the Heinrich's more subtle orange. I found it more natural. The Exotic Orange is great for the occasional smoke, a break from Va's, it's nice and bright. But after a while I found it...not cloying...but too pronounced. As I said in the earlier post, it's a true aromatic, whereas the Heinrich's is more subdued.
I like both. But prefer the Heinrich's. It's a personal choice, no indictment of the blend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, after smoking the entire lot of both in different pipes. I ended up liking the the Heinrich's more subtle orange. I found it more natural. The Exotic Orange is great for the occasional smoke, a break from Va's, it's nice and bright. But after a while I found it...not cloying...but too pronounced. As I said in the earlier post, it's a true aromatic, whereas the Heinrich's is more subdued.
I like both. But prefer the Heinrich's. It's a personal choice, no indictment of the blend.
That's what I was afraid of and I'm glad you brought this up. Most blends in this genre can be exciting and fun at first but tend to get real old after several smokes. I'll keep sticking with what I know. I've got to stop trying new blends out anyway... I always end up disappointed in the long run. It's time to get codgerly for this cowboy!

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Opinion change?
sticker,220x200-bg,ffffff-pad,220x200,ffffff.u1.jpg

I'm sorry, I had to.

That said, I can't wait to try EO. And now I need to try the Peter Heinrich's tobacco too.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
EO is a bit much for my tastes. I enjoy it cut wth some Virginia or as a condimental addition to a VaPer that is lighter on the Perique. That being said it’s hard to beat when craving a dessert blend, the orange creme flavor lasts to the bottom.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I had been building a cart for the current sale at smokingpipes when I got the alert email. 4 tins on the way. I'm looking forward to this one.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I rate Rattray's Marlin Flake at the top of my list of tinned tobacco. (but, that has been about 2 yrs since I've smoked it)

I do have one 3.5 tin aging. I think I'll try to hang on to it till my 70th, later this year. I think the tin is at least 4 yrs old. It's a prized possession. heh heh.

So, is EO like Captain Black Grape, in that it smells like a child's candy? Crap, I ordered some. I had to set next to a guy smoking that Captain Black Grape at a pipe club meeting, and I just couldn't take it. If there ever was a tobacco that seems like it was made to entice children, IMO, the grape becomes suspect number one for me. If this orange is like that, Imma gonna be pissed.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Cosmic, I've smelled Captain Black Grape. I wouldn't let my worst enemy smoke that.

I like Exotic Orange and my wife and daughters says it smells like Orange Blossom Honey to them.

Good, thanks Pappymac, I feel better about having ordered some. By reading some of the posts, I was starting to think that it was going to be like orange bubblegum or something.

I did also pick up some of the Heinrichs Grand Cru #2, as Woods suggested. I will have to do a side by side comparison.
I've tried Plantra's orange and was not wowed by the flavor. It had that plain ol blank aromatic taste to me. I've also tried the Danske Mild Orange, and it was better, but bitey. I prefer the mango by Danske. But, I am still willing to explore orange flavors.

Unless they start to get in the candy realm of flavor.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have 3 tins of the stuff. It's OK, kind of a fruit parfait. I suspect those tins are more than a lifetime supply. I like the Heinrichs Grand Cru 2 better as well, more of an unadulterated orange flavor. But I don't really find myself really pulled to smoke either.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
So is it an orange blossom flavor, which is sort of similar to jasmine? Or is it more like orange peel? Or more tart like orange wedges?

Status
Not open for further replies.