PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, here is something you don't see everyday.
The two rarest Comoy pipes ever auctioned on the Internet:
1. Comoy's Specimen Straight Grain Extraordinaire billiard #124.
2. Comoy's Blue Riband Extraordinaire stamped Straight Grain #309 Canadian.
2 RAREST COMOY PIPES EVER AUCTIONED ON THE INTERNET
URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RAREST-COMOY-PIPES-EVER-AUCTIONED-INTERNET-/251396281629

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm no expert in Comoy pipes, but those are rare indeed. And spectacular to look at. Wow.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
What he states is correct: "The highest grade Comoy pipe appearing just before WWII was the Specimen Straight Grain, with the company stating only one bowl in 10,000 possessing the attributes to attain this lofty grade. The brochures touted the Specimen as the “rarest and finest of all Comoy pipes:. Far rarer than the popular Blue Riband of which 3 or 4 appeared for each 1,000 bowls". “Extraordinaire” was a designation given to any pipe of unusual grain or size. Extraordinaire’s can be found with no other designations, or rarely in combination with other grades such as “London Pride”, “Blue Ribands” etc. "
Therefore, to find a Blue Riband stamped Extraordinaire is, well, extraordinary. To have the additional stamp "straight Grain" is icing on the icing, do to speak.
The second pipe, the Specimen Straight Grain is rare enough as it is, one in ten thousand bowls. But to have it stamped Extraordinaire, is, well, again, extraordinary.
I'm lucky to have a Comoy's Blue Riband #409 stamped "Straight Grain", but it doesn't also carry the designation Extraordinaire. But, in my book, it doesn't make it any less extraordinary. Lol.
Anyone got two grand to spend tonight?
I don't think the sale will last past tomorrow, although I may be mistaken. Only time will tell.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What beautiful pipes.
Thank you for sharing this, Kash.
That Canadian made little beads of sweat pop out on my upper lip.
Fnord

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I'm willing to bet that I know who will buy those two pipes!!!!! But it will not be me.

He's soon to have a book published on The Blue Riband pipe.

Incredible pipes for sure, thanks for the link Kashmir, I'm sure a lot of us will be watching to see when it sells.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Beautiful pipes! Expensive, but very beautiful!

As nice as those are Kash, I don't think they compare to that Comoys Bulldog of yours, the one that's all covered in Birdseye.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Pete. Awfully kind of you. I thought the price a bit low myself, and contacted the buyer to raise it to three. The price of a fancy leather sofa. Lol. I think they're worth it. Of course, you're buying the nomenclature and the accompanying history that goes along with it. The two pipes are not super noteworthy aside from the stampings. I mean the graining is not stellar. But they are museum pieces. I would have split them up and given them to Coopersark to handle, as he gets the most traffic on eBay re: high end estates. Or perhaps Mr. Can, who could have had a field day writing those two pipes up. His superlative excesses meritted in this case.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
My goodness, Kash, those are two of the most beautiful pipes I have ever seen!
Thanks for posting.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Those are absolute beauties. I think he would probably sell them at $1700, just a guess. I decided to take a look through the all the pipes for sale. I stopped looking about six months ago because I was always getting outbid and there were far fewer "good" pipes available. The number of pipes has grown and the number of collectables has at least tripled. This of course can be just a Christmas push as gifts. Lots of pipes with many bidders is a great thing for our hobby's future.
I noticed this auction, not for pipes but for pipe cleaners. I'll probably put a bid in as it comes close to the end, but 2000+ pipe cleaners would last a loooooongggggg time. But there's a lot of pipe refinishers here and I know they have to go through a ton of cleaners. 7 hours left, free shipping and at $16.50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/700-Dunhill-pipe-cleaners-with-free-Longs-pipe-cleaners-/171184495244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27db641a8c

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I know that Gent. Have refurbed/restored several pipes for him including a half dozen or so Comoy--but not those two!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, the pair is still up. I guess the collectors are not biting (yet), although the price is very fair. Again, it's the nomenclature and history one is paying for, not the grain per se, as I have seen much better from Comoy. But apparantly someone in upper management at Comoy's of London, in its heyday, thought the grain meritted such stamping. They are truly a remarkable pair.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Looks like I found my next two pipes, just a drop in the bucket for me. NOT
Great looking pipes, I think peck needs to buy these puppy's. How about it peck, only the cost of a couple of Cooke's, go for it.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I know that seller as well. I have been trading emails with him for a while. I think he might even be a member here. Anyway, Great Seller, I have bought a number of Custom-bilts from him. He even sent me a old tin of arcadian ribbon to me, just cause. Someone is going to be lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.