PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwicrusaders

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I'm struggling to choose between these two for my next pipe. I have a pipe of each that I really like the look of, however the Randy wiley is about $70 more that the Nording. I like the idea of having an artisan pipe (although wouldn't Nording pipes be that as well?.... Maybe a topic for a different forum).. But anyway, back to my question,
When reviewing these two pipe brands, Nording seems to be overwhelmingly considered a good smoker... Where there seem to be a few people who complain about Randy twirler pipes (wet...gurgling, seeming to be the most common words). My question is, is the Randy wiley worth the extra $70... I like the look of the pipe, but not necessarily $70 worth and the sporadic complaints about Randys pipe being wet smokers has me concerned.

Mar 1, 2014
If people are complaining about a pipe chances are it's user error, and I have a feeling price would come into that equation as well, since the Nordings are a good deal people would be more likely to be forgiving of them.
I say get the one you like most. If you were just getting something to do the job you'd be smoking a cob, this is miles away from being a practical decision.

After browsing the selection at Smokingpipes I definitely like the style of Randy Wiley (big bowls and long stems), that said, I do adore my Nording.

If the pipe has exactly the look and design you're going for, the extra $70 isn't a big deal. If they both have exactly the look and design you're going for, I see no reason to spend the extra money (sorry Randy).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you've already talked yourself into buying the Nording. I have a signature that is wonderful. I think you get a lot for the money with Nording. So just do it and you'll be happy that you did. There's no reason why you can't consider a Wiley later on.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have a Wiley Patina, and love the look and feel of it, but that happens to be one of my complaints also. It gurgles after about 5 min. of lighting up.

I have had it since around 2000, and try it out from time to time, hoping that this time it will smoke right, but no, it will start gurgling. But it is such a handsome pipe that I have not sold it. I will one day have the airway opened up and see if that will fix it.

I recently emailed George Dibos about it, but haven't heard anything from him as of yet. Maybe he can get it to smoke properly. As of now I can only suggest the Nording.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I have around 30 Wileys and one Nording. Most of the Wileys are great smokers and lookers. The Nording, too, is a great smoker. Since I don't know which pipes in particular you are considering so I can't help with potential problems. Get a straight or slightly curved Wiley. I haven't found the swirls being wetter than the others, in fact a couple of the star smokers I own of Wiley's have swirled shafts, stems,or both. The Nording is the unfinished signature and I love watching it color in a completely unique way. Let us know what you decided, how it smokes, how it feels. Good luck on the adventure.

I wouldn't put Nording in the Artisan category. I keep hearing that he hasn't touched a tool in decades, and if you look at his touring schedule, he is never home long enough to ever make pipes himself. Plus, although I have quite a few and love them, they just don't have any of the small details that an artisan pipe should have. Even the higher end Nordings (which are still cheap) have all of the signs of being frazed stummels and mold injected stems.

They are great factory pipes, worth the money, but not "artisan" by a long shot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just have heard more about Nording, and people seem satisfied with them as smokers. I have one of Nording's

machine pipes, an Eriksen, and I have to say it is a terrific little pipe, a great smoker, really well drilled, with

a durable finish.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have a Wiley Patina and have never smoked a Nording. My Randy Wiley is a very good smoker and it smokes dry and very cool since it is a thick walled pot. I love it.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I am a fan of Wiley's pipes, I have 7 total, 3 patinas, 4 galleons and they all smoke beautifully without gurgling.

qmechanics

Lurker
Dec 17, 2012
Kansas
Hi

I am sure your decision has long sense been made however for the sake of future readers I will throw in a few thoughts. One of my favorite styles of pipe is the freehand. As a result,I own a good number of Nordings and Wiley pipes. Both pipes brands are generally solid good smokers with a few misfires here and there. Nording does offer a few lower priced lines (

qmechanics

Lurker
Dec 17, 2012
Kansas
Hi

I am sure your decision has long sense been made however for the sake of future readers I will throw in a few thoughts. One of my favorite styles of pipe is the freehand. As a result,I own a good number of Nordings and Wiley pipes. Both pipes brands are generally solid good smokers with a few misfires here and there. Nording does offer a few lower priced lines (

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Never owned a Wiley but have 5 Nordings I'm fairly pleased with. Don't know if 1 was made by the man himself, but it is stamped handmade for whatever that's worth. As to high grade Nordings, wouldn't call them cheap in price. Have seen some north of $700.

I have two Wiley’s and seven Nordings, and have had the pleasure of meeting Erik three times. All of his pipes are stamped “handmade.” However, he uses several factories to make his pipes. It’s funny that Erik made his namestay in tweeking machines that make pipes, and labels them all “handmade.” I have two pipes with the exact same rustication and shaping, like exact twins, and both are stamped handmade. But, if you look at the prices of most of his selections, they are priced lower than most makers. He does have some top end pipes, as most do, that range up to $700+, but if you push him, he will admit that he doesn’t work any more, except to tour with his pipes.
Wiley’s pipes, when you look at the whole range, are very large pipes. Sure, he has some small ones in the mix, but overall, his pipes are mostly large and kind of heavy. If large is not attractive to you, be sure to check sizes and dimensions, because overall he is known to make honkers. But, they are very cheaply priced on average, but as with Nording, you can find a few on the top end with nice grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.