PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Sorry in advance for rambling... :puffy:
I only have my pipe indoors, in my basement rec room. However, I have a routine of air circulation that I've done for years to minimize any lingering room aromas. Nothing too elaborate, just a standing fan pointing at an open window. I have a second "exhaust" style fan that fits in the window that I reserve for certain blends that don't have the most pleasant aroma, and I'll run that along with the first fan if needed. It works great for the most part.
I live in Canada though, which means in winter even if I'm inside it gets freaking cold with the window open. I actually passed on having a pipe most of last week as the temperatures approached ridiculous levels. Today, we have snow so so it will get milder. I'm choosing to work from home, so I fired up a pipe. I had to break to make a phone call, and as I passed my window I was greeted with what looks like a centimetre of snow on the floor. This window never lets in snow or rain, so I was a little surprised to see this.
Anyways, after cleaning up and closing most of the window I decided to finish my pipe. On a whim, I turned my fan towards the room. (It's not oscillating) Amazing! Obviously, I got to smell the room note more than usual since I wasn't forcing it out, but it almost seemed as if getting the note was helping my taste buds enjoy the blend more (SG Chocolate Flake). It totally changed everything. Not only that I still couldn't detect much of a smell in the other parts of the house, which is why I force it out the window. It was one of the best, most flavourful, smokes I've ever had.
To make a short story long, after smoking a pipe for years I'm a little put out thinking that it could've been so much better had I just turned my fan a few inches. Crazy. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm I Canada too, and when it's really cold and my nose is frozen I don't seem to "taste" the tobacco as much (or sometimes at all). I'm thinking the more senses we engage the better the experience

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I literally have put that fan in the same spot for nearly 10 years, there's grooves in the carpet...

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I turned my library into the smoking room. I live in Canada too, on the prairies where it gets really cold and I found that a air filter/purifier in my little room seems to keep the smell out of the rest of the house quite well. With the door closed, the room itself has a little lingering aroma with strong tobaccos but very little with sweeter ones. And the room notes while I'm smoking have been fantastic so I agree with ghost about making the smoking just that much better!

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Simple experiments have demonstrated the strong connection between smell and taste; when one's sense of smell is impeded, one can hardly taste anything.
In Israel, we are fortunate to have air conditioners that also work as heating units, so in the winter the AC will warm up the room but still vent smells out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.