PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I am on my third version - this one might do it. Easily carry 1 oz, pipe, cleaners, zippo, and tool.

20170603_201118_zps32gig8wy.jpg

20170603_201140_zpsywc64i29.jpg

20170603_201225_zpsgdoge0nn.jpg

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
The first two were made out of $2 a yard walmart canvas. I splurged a little on the vinyl haha!
Looking at it now I wish I had a colorful liner - even a bandana would look cool. I have always been good at figuring out patterns; but my sewing skills are not very good. Lots of seam ripper action going on!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Originally I had a square design; but I had to go back and taper the flap to keep it from poking out when it is rolled up. I will take it to the pipe club meeting this week to see what the guys think about it.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Nice work, you have Skills, my wife sews, has made even Boat tops for me when I was into boats. You might want to try a Boat top maker, their Sunbrella canvas top cloth is tough, they might even have pieces they throw away that would make some nice carry ons like you make.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Great job. If you decide to make another, let me know. We have flannel galore (my wife quilts and collects fabric like I would like to collect pipes) and I will be glad to send you what you need. My better half is working on a couple of tobacco pouches and a roll but cannot settle on the design for the roll. Rather I can't. The pouches are modeled after a British WW1 soldiers pouch. The right gingham pattern for the external fabric has been a bitch to find. The liner of the pouch is oil cloth so you can use it with or without a baggie.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
^^^^ that would be cool, are you looking for a twill for the outside? Post a sample pick and I will keep my eyes open.
We have a shop that has some cool old-fashioned canvas goods W Durable Goods I am talking with them about adding this to their line. I don't know if the canvas would be too thick; but it would certainly last forever!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Tips from the pipe club:
1) enlarge the tool section to accept a check tool

2) set the zippo deeper

3) enlarge the tobacco section to accept a tri-fold pouch

4) colorful liner would be a nice addition - maybe several options
So the conversations regarding sewing and fusible mesh were pretty funny. We all left with our man cards intact...

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
aquadoc- I have thought about flannel as well but it would need to be a sturdy flannel or light felt perhaps. Maybe along the lines of camelhair?

Status
Not open for further replies.