PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
So I decided to take drastic measures and motor over my local B/M tobacconist, "Paul's Cigars" in Beaverton, Oregon. I was more than a little surprised to find the store had no tined tobaccos! There were some pipes in a basket on the counter,truly cheap looking things. There were some much better ones in a glass case, all at full retail prices.
There were about ten jars of bulk pipe tobacco in front of the counter, all Peter Stockkeby, I think. The closest blend my nose could match to FMOTB was "Balken Supreme". So I took home a few ounces of that as well as a few supplies to make my trip worthwhile in case the tobacco didn't work out.
Well, I found the BS to be....not bad. It doesn't have the full, earthy flavor of "On the Bayou". It's much milder. At $3.25 an ounce it's also much cheaper. Still, if they had anything Frog Morton I would bought that instead.
Also, as the proprietor measured out the tobacco he complained that the tobacco was so dry he had to give me more than he wanted to shovel in the bag. I guess that's good for me. It was an awkward moment though.
The store gets two stars. Cigar smokers might give it more.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Trailboss, I can tell you for sure there are no Tinder Box stores in the state of Oregon. Takoma, Washington is the closest and I have ordered from them in the past. (I sort of like their "Sherlock's Choice")
I'm sure if I venture downtown I might be able to find someplace with a passing selection of tobaccos. I'll be looking.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Old post I know - but in case you haven't found a store, Rich's in Portland was pretty good when I lived there

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
My nearest B&M only carries Dunhill tins and about a dozen bulk blends (2 english, 10 aromatic). One of the bulk blends is Dunhill MM965 that they buy in 5 lb bags and sell for $3 an ounce. I don't know what the other is, but I have tried it and didn't find it especially tasty.
They do have a decent selection of estate pipes, but very few new pipes. A basket on the counter with cheapies, and maybe a dozen nice new pipes in the case. Mostly paykoc meers, savinellis, and petersons (all at retail price). I did buy one of the smaller paykic meers there when I first started smoking.
Whenever I make it up near the store I always stop in and buy something just to try and help out. Yeah, I can buy the dunhill tins cheaper online, but I like supporting the store. Even if it's just by buying a few pipe cleaners and a new MM cob (at retail price). If we don't support the B&M's then we wont have them forever.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
That's why most of my tobacco comes from Iwan Reis. I pay a little more and I pay tax. But shipping is free no matter how much I spend :)
And it's a nice half mile walk. Win/win.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Just go to the main Rich's store downtown. There's a 2nd store with almost nothing tobacco-related. The main store is worth hunting out. I'm from Indiana and I hunted out Rich's. I bought a nice Winslow there. I was also able to buy 8oz bags of both Stonehaven and Penzance there.

Status
Not open for further replies.