Rain Pipe

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by crashthegrey
  • Latest reply from hawky454
  1. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hesitate to take smooth pipes out in the rain, or even sandblasts that I really like. So I have a Kaywoodie Natural Burl whose stinger was cut before I acquired it. Between that and the craggy, thorny finish, it has become my rainy day and farm pipe. Do you guys worry about the rain and the finish? I'm especially interested in the opinions of you sink washing guys, as you have dispelled a lot of the water myths. I make pipes and know that a good layer of wax should be alright, but I still worry about the acidity of rain water destroying my pipes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just give pipes that get rained on while I'm smoking a wipe down with a dry rag and so far its been enough. That said, my oldest pipe has only been around for 7 years so time will tell.

-Home At Sea
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't usually go out into the rain to smoke, but the jaunt between the porch and the truck has never even crossed my mind as a problem. And, no... smooth pipes and blasts all get the hose, ha ha. I don't have any pipes that I exclude from getting a rinse in the sink. All of mine seem to be holding up very well, no problems at all.

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live on a farm. There is much more than a jaunt some days. So I smoke in the rain. I flip the pipe upside down when need be, but I don't like them getting soaking wet. I may be alone on this particular issue, though.

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke only a few bowls a week and only at home, so I never smoke in the rain. I do rinse my pipes on occasion and just dry them with a paper towel. So far, so good.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a rusticated Peterson in wet weather - actually, that was one of the main reasons I bought it.

I'm also a sink washing guy, but a quick rinse of the bowl is very different from hanging out in the rain, stem and all. And a word of caution: I've left pipes out in the rain by accident (for a several days) and the moisture can definitely ruin the surface of a smooth pipe as the hard and soft parts of the grain expand and contract, leaving subtle ridges in what had been a smooth surface.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, pitchfork. That's exactly the type of life experience that I wanted to know.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find pipes that I have left on a tractor seat for months or on the picnic table for unknown amounts of time in the rain also, but I have never had it ruin a pipe. So...

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. Maybe I am crazy in my concerns, then.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, was it a smooth pipe you left in the rain? FWIW, the one that got damaged was a Dunhill.

On a related topic, I have two pipes that I left out on a window sill (under an eave) all winter long here in New England. I haven't cleaned them up, but we'll soon find out what happens to a pipe treated like that.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nah, crash, you're not crazy. Remember, that was Cosmic you were talking to.

Me, to tell the truth, if it's more than spitting rain I just don't smoke. At home I smoke outside, but if it rains I just move my chair into the garage [especially if I'm doing Frigate or McClelland; yesterday I found an unopened tin of McC's Nording Hunter Retriever I'd forgotten I had -- lucky me!!!! :):):)].

Yeah; I know -- "Well, gee, Bill, that was just all *kinds* of helpful." If weather's inclement I'm just not that likely to smoke unless I'm under cover.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

all winter long here in New England ... We'll soon find out...."

Lord, pitchfork! I'm agog with anticipation! Seriously, I really *am* interested in hearing that tale, whether of woe or good news!

Bill

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was a smooth bulldog left on the picnic table. I can't remember which was left on the tractor seat. There were a couple of guys, Ash was one of them, who soaked their pipes in water for a various amount of time, and had no permanent ill effects.

You know, I don't recommend soaking pipes in water as an intentional practice, but in my own experience, I haven't seen any negative effects that would make me worry about it. A little rain, phhht, the worst thing I could think of is that your tobacco will get wet. And, if I am having to do some work in the rain, I can wait till I get back to cover before I fire it up.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose it depends on what is in the rain. Treated tap water is one thing. A heavy, dirty rain, think Texas Panhandle, is another. Acidic rain may cause problems. That said, if I'm working or playing in the rain, the pipe is going to get wet. So far, never had a briar/cob pipe show any bad effects of such treatment. The meers are mostly inside smokes.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I have a rusticated Savinelli Minuto and a rusticated Savinelli Oscar tiger to smoke in the rain/snow. I experienced no issues so far. But keep in mind that I live in Iceland where acidic rain/snow is unknown.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Inveterate hot water washer here, and a smoker in the rain occasionally. But I dry the pipe after, so moisture isn't on for more than a few hours. I think you are totally safe.

Some have worried about stain coming off in water. I say if it comes off that easily it'd come off in your hands over time, or the finish was left, uh, unfinished.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  17. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tha is for all the valuable input. I think I'll keep using pipes that I am not worried about what happens and save my better pipes for less than a downpour.

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

But keep in mind that I live in Iceland where acidic rain/snow is unknown.

Acid rain found in 40% of samples Iceland

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use cobs when it’s raining. One of my nice stanwell smooths experienced a bit of rain a while back. I just used a soft cloth and some elbow grease to rub out the surface marks

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@canucklehead, do you know how often do we have eruptions big enough to generate some mild acidic rain for a month?

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A good smoker that can be carried about that can handle a little rain, wind, sleet and dust is a fine pipe. It makes them valuable in a special way.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

@canucklehead, do you know how often do we have eruptions big enough to generate some mild acidic rain for a month?

Typically every 5 or so years, but more frequently lately, there are at least 5 or more major eruptions anticipated within the next ten years.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Before throwing it out a couple of months ago, a Dunhill Shell zulu was my beater/yard work/rain pipe. I've got an MM 5th Avenue Diplomat for that now. It just smokes better.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 months ago #
  24. piperusak

piperusak

Login to Send PM

often have to smoke on the go. Rain, except for the inconvenience of smoking, does not bring me a problem

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I lived in Oregon it was hard not to smoke in the rain. I just smoked whatever pipe I wanted to at the time but smoked it upside down as not to get too much rain in the chamber. Never had a problem with stain or any other issue.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, georged, 3rdguy, pepesdad1, olkofri, nhhiggy, tobacconut, ashdigger, hugodrax, pitchfork