PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Goodness gracious!
Those are great looking pipes, Peck. But the second pipe is knock-down, drag-out, gorgeous. Love the bird's eye on the rim, the blast is fantastic especially with the long, vertical, grain popping through. The shank extension (or is it a stem extension?) is a lovely transition and the cumberland is a great compliment stem to the stain choice. Just a wonderful confluence of goodness in that second pipe, pal.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, I agree. The second pipe is the better looking of the two, no question. The blast on the black one is a bit on the weak side.
As Harris said, when I showed him the second one, it kind of looks like fall.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Man, I love both of those! Gorgeous, gorgeous pipes. Loving the wood work on those. Congrats and enjoy them!! :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's no secret that I love the famous Castello Shape 55. Rad Davis was nice enough to make me a couple of pipes in this shape.
That is nice. For most people I think he charges money.
Seriously, those are both great looking pipes. What are the stem accents made of? The bottom one almost looks like a 60s Danish shape -- a Holbek, maybe, or one of Ivarsson's pipes. Very cool.
HolbekInfo04.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Pitch.
The stem on the black is Ebonite trimmed with faux horn
The stem on the Tan Contrast is Cumberland trimmed with spalted tamarind.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
A lot of American carvers do contrast stained sandblasts, but on the second pipe you can actually see the lines of what would have been straight grain.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Very nice pipes Peck, I like that shape quite a lot. I do like the blast and cumberland of the second, but the contrasts of the first are quite appealing to me as well. I'm close to ordering my first Rad at the moment, and though a Castello 55 will not be my first(have a rhodesian calling my name), a Radstello 55 as you put it is on my list. I hope they smoke well for you.

B

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Both are beauty's ! Eventually I am going to buy me a Rad Davis but just not in the cards yet ! Super pipes Peck !!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, I think the blast on the first one is very well done. Being black it is a little harder to see in the pics, but once you get it in hand I think you will be impressed.
Both are great looking pipes that I know will be great smokers, congrats buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.