Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
olcy46F.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We are losing two stores in our community and their regional warehouse that employees about 100.

I guess they just didn't keep up with the time and the need for their offering was made less relevant by the internet. I still go in to my store occasionally for a cable, etc. Most o the time, they did have what I needed. It seems that cell phones were a big part of their business recently.
When I was in High School, their audio components weren't bad. I still have a pair of RS bookshelf speakers from the 80's in my garage. As a 16 year old, going to my local mall, stopping at RS to see the stereo equipment and car audio was a must. This was before the Circuit City/Best Buy, etc. days so they were the only game in my rural town.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yep another one bites the dust. The bonds were trading at 9.6% or 9.6 cents on the $ the last I looked. There are more credit swap agreements out on those damned things then there are bonds to make delivery. Someone is going to catch a nasty cold on that one fairly shortly especially since no ones selling so I see a very interesting squeeze taking place as the last throw from this dead old corpse! I would image the share holders will get wiped out in the 11 filing, they usually always are, but the debt boys look set for an interesting ride! Financial recycling at it best. :)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The only thing that surprises me is that it's lasted this long. That store got lost in the digital age once iPods, iPhones, iPads and such came out. Not bashing the store, I loved going there as a kid and picking out a new remote control car or what not.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The days of hobbyists building electronic gear are long gone. I don't think they even do it in Boy Scouts anymore. RadioShack should have looked at what happened to Heathkit a long time ago.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A adapt or die. I bet some are getting tired of reading that. When you have a store full of stuff people or no longer buying, you need to find wares people want or close the doors. Radio Shack was never particularly agile, they were and are very focused. At one time they pretty much defined the electronics market for DIY types, ham radio operators and electronic toys.
There are still places to feed the need of noodling around with electronics, but Radio Shack was really handy in their day. My age group, Radio Shack's main customer base, is steadily shrinking and they were way behind the curve when it came to attracting a younger base. Model trains may go down the same road. No longer does a person interested in RC flight need to learn the sometimes tedious skills necessary to build a plane. One can purchase them, fairly cheaply from booths in the arcades of malls, find a field, perhaps the West Lawn at the White House, and start flying, drones, helicopters and the like.
I'm sure GenXers will look back fondly on their childhood as the world rapidly passes them by in a few years.
Maybe, I'll visit the last remaining hobby shop in my area and pick up a P-51 to build and paint. I think I could still do that. I loved working with my hands and creating a little something I could proudly display. I miss that and I'll miss the Radio Shack.
I have been thinking about an HO layout. Just what I need, a new avenue for spending, both moneys and time. I'm guessing here, but I think certain childhood diversions demand resurrecting as we get older. I think it's a bit of wanting to go back to that simpler time where we were mostly wrapped in that warm racoon of parental protection, safe neighborhoods and caring neighbors. It's a good thing nostalgia has filters!
Boy, did I get off target. Sorry about the trip down memory lane. How does one stray from a purely economic to building toys and childhood? Old age + great memories = maudlin drivel. Where in the world did I lay my normal cynicism?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
+1 on Patrick.
I used to be able to go into a Radio Shack and not only buy parts for repair of building projects, but I could get good advice, too. Bit by bit the components vanished from the shelves. No IC's, no resistors, capacitors or switches. No project boxes, diodes or PC board making stuff. The last several times that I went in for audio connectors and wire, they didn't have what I really needed, and everything else was the cheapest crap that you could imagine. That was several yeas ago, have not been back in since.
adioS is right.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Well Honestly I cant remember the last time i went to radio shack. on the other hand the alarm clock I bought from them 20 years ago still works and I use it every day.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Patrick, I have been a Ham radio operator since the 1970's. I can remember building a Heathkit SWR meter, Heathkit phone patch, and a notch filter for 2m SSB from a kit. Non-kit projects were a 4-element Quad antenna and an antenna tuner with a big roller inductor. Other than those I can't remember ever building a thing and none of that came from RadioShack. Just remembered I did play with Slow-Scan TV for a while but again the transmitter & receiver were AE kits.
I think the last time I was in a RadioShack store I was looking for an HDMI cable so you know how long that's been. I've been totally wireless with just laptops & tablets or iPads for at least 10 yrs.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
HDMI cables are still current technology.

But they didn't have it when my wife went in to buy one a few months ago.
Amazon Prime to the rescue.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Electronics business is staying ahead of the curve. Lose that and you have nothing to sell. The last

thing I bought at Radio Shack was a battery for a cordless phone, but I discovered later I could have

replaced the whole phone for about the same price. Several years before that, I bought a household

walkie-talky that was a piece of junk. So I experienced the business fading first hand. Sad.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
My first real job was at RadioShack, It's sad to see the brand disappear.
The end of RadioShack it's the result of two factors: the decline on DIY electronics that happened on the 80's-90's, and the lack of action to redo the brand and concentrate on the new market of DIY digital electronics (arduino, Parallax, Raspberry pi) instead of trying to cover the cellphone market (market that is already oversaturated of sellers and resellers of phones and accessories, you can find at least five stores on every shopping mall!!!)...
Like some of you pointed, I buy most of the components that I need for my radios or projects like antennas and others online... last time that I stopped at the store I was not even able to find some PL239!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It's sad to see any long time business disappear....I'm sure people lamented the blacksmith closing up shop due to these damn horseless carriages!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Patrick,
Nice station! I used to enjoy weak signal work like EME, Slow Scan TV, 10m CW, & 2m SSB but I don't do much anymore. It was always the challenge that I enjoyed the most. Maybe again someday.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's sad to see any long time business disappear....I'm sure people lamented the blacksmith closing up shop due to these damn horseless carriages!
Or you do what my grandfather did. He was a harness maker when he came to this country and figured out that horse drawn conveyances were on their way out with the emergence of the automobile. So he opened up an auto body and mechanical repair shop. That business, Jake's Auto Body, is still going, serving Waterbury Connecticutt, though it hasn't been in the family for 50 years.
You change and adapt with the times or you get replaced. Radioshack was designed for a certain era. Now there are a lot of alternatives. What will be missed is the convenience of having a decently stocked shop within close proximity of wherever you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.