PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I've been busy the past week and a half working on this old Atwater Kent tube radio from 1926 and proud to say it's up and running! I replaced only a few parts, two resistors and one capacitor, wired in a new power cable with six leads to go to a battery eliminator hooked up a 30' antenna and a good ground to water pipe and she started playing. Still have a little work to do and clean up the wooden case it goes in and then it will go upstairs to it's final resting place atop a piece of antique furniture my granny gave me long ago. It's good to see it returning from the dead.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I haven't put it all back together but here are some before I started and after I took the chassis out.
Model30.jpg

Model30AtwaterKent.jpg

_DEF4618a-1.jpg

...and, this is the speaker.
_DEF4635a.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
What I love about antiques is the attention to detail on even the smallest things, that is a great looking speaker.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
That's Atwater Kent's E-3 Speaker. They were the Lexus of radios in the day. This radio will use the horn speaker as well but those sound quite a bit 1920's tinny so, I opted for the E-3.
This is their L Speaker.
T2eC16JHJGE9nm3pkoZBQbv2vKQ60_57.jpg

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Too bad most all you hear on AM today is preaching, sports talk shows and talk shows in general. I was able to find a local "Classic" country station but I can only take so much of that! :)
This is my next project-a Model 46 from the same manufacturer but not battery operated. I has a large transformer that would choke an elephant and the radio weighs about 45 pounds and takes a different speaker than the one beside it.
_DEF4626a.jpg

_DEF4633a.jpg

This is the correct speaker for it.

AWKF2Speaker.jpg

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I bet you could pick up the Old Time Radio shows from the station in Nashville. WAMB 1160/106.7
I'm going to try but it comes in weak...I'll have to work on that.
Adam, they didn't have FM until about 1947 and it wasn't widespread until the fifties.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
My dad had an old Stromberg piece of furniture. It was AM/FM and SW. I wish I had that now, i think it went into a yard sale in the 80's.
Kind of LIKE THIS but, with more dial.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
No way of making it FM that I know of...wish you could. I kind of hate to see AM die like it has. There use to be a station here(WQBB) that did old radio programs like The Shadow and Inner Sanctum and played the big bad sound from groups like Harry James, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Artie Shaw and Woody Herman but it lasted about a year then disappeared. It saddened me as I listened to it often.
There's such crap on TV anymore I seldom watch it. On rare occasions there will be something I watch besides the news/weather but it's not consistent.
The old Stromberg/Carlson were fine radios. We have one that I think I posted some pics of that we have at work in the archives under glass. It looks barely used and comes with the large horn.
photo10-1.jpg

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I wish more folks would do this when they have the time and if they have the knowledge. If you can use a volt/ohm meter and know filament from plate pins yo have a good start!.
I did some searching and found there is a device that allows you to not only broadcast FM through and AM radio but you can use MP3, satellite, CD's, etc to broadcast music through that old 1020's radio!! So, you can get some CD's of the Whistler or the Shadow, perhaps music from Tommy Dorsey or whoever, and broadcast it though an old tube radio. I love electronic projects. This will be my next purchase. I'd live to hear old radio programs through the same radio that originally broadcast it. Noting makes me more squeamish than to hear Led Zeppelin though a 1926 RCA Radiola!! 8O
http://www.sstran.com/#AMT3000

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I wish I had the know how. I would probably want to update them with new speakers and maybe an ipod connection but it would be pretty sweet.
That device would really add to it's useability of those old radios. You could play anything you wanted.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
That's the beauty of it. Whatever you taste in music or radio programs, you can stream it from the Internet or use your ipod/iphone or just some CD's. A superb invention,IMO.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
This is unreal...totally amazing. I had no idea this was possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WBTaz4NvY&feature=youtu.be

Status
Not open for further replies.