PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Received the new unsmoked Radice Rind Twin Bore Bent Poker/Sitter yesterday. It was very quick shipping from CA to VA and only took like 2 days to get here. This is one of those pipes that looks better in person than in the pics posted by the seller. It is exquisite and is definitely unsmoked with a pre coated bowl. There are no flaws, scratches, fills or dings anywhere on the pipe and it is in pristine condition (until i fired it up, lol). Packed up some trusty Irish Flake and went to town on it. It smokes great, with a cool even draw and the twin bore stem design immediately appealed to my tongue. I definitely noticed less irritation from the smoke on my tongue after two long bowls than usual, as i have said before i tend to be a frequent puffer. I love the twin bore stem and a pipe cleaner passes easily on both sides to the bottom of the bowl. The smooth grain on the pipe is very appealing to the eye and really trumps the rustication on the bowl. It looks to me that there is equal smooth area as rusticated area. Nomenclature is clear and crisp and this is a G sized pipe. The chamber is large and holds a hefty amount of tobacco at about 2" deep. The bore is fairly wide as well, which is a plus in this case, as it adds to the smooth draw, IMO.
I like the twin bore stem better than the standard Radice stem from the two brief experiences i have had with both so far. I will continue to compare and update if i find that this changes with more bowls in the future. Overall, this is a FANTASTIC pipe and i am VERY satisfied with it, both in the way it looks and smokes. It sure is an eye pleaser and i believe, would satisfy the most picky of pipe smokers with its visual presentation as well as smokeability.
20140414_212412-600x450.jpg

20140414_212052-600x450.jpg

20140414_212032-600x450.jpg

20140414_212014-600x450.jpg

20140414_211932-600x450.jpg

20140414_211902-600x450.jpg

20140414_211919-600x450.jpg

20140414_211853-600x450.jpg

20140414_211746-600x450.jpg

20140414_211726-600x450.jpg

20140414_211718-600x450.jpg

20140414_211710-600x450.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Congrats, that is a fabulous looking pipe. I do love the grain on it as in comparison to the rustication as well, but it is very pleasing to the eye. Glad to hear that she is a good smoker as well.
Enjoy :puffy:
Dan

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Dan the Man, thanks brother i appreciate it! It looks especially good in contrast to my absurdly filthy pollen caked table in my back yard, lol! Adding that to the list of things to do this weekend. Or maybe i'll just leave it as is, to use as a background for future pipe pics to make them look a lot better than they actually are. Hahaha. :lol:

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Good lord, is that pollen?! I think your back garden would likely kill me off! On another note though, what's the benefit of having two holes as opposed to the standard letterbox shaped hole? Looks a marvellous pipe besides that though.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Anglesey:
[/quote]Thanks Bradley. My guess was the pipe was an estate Radice. Gigi introduced Radice's "new and improved" a few decades ago, IIRC. Here's some info on these, if interested:
"The idea was first generated in response to pipe smokers who have delicate palates or who suffer from the dreaded tongue bite. Traditional twin bore mouthpieces offered some relief in this area, but were extremely difficult to clean in that each of the twin bores came in at a 45 degree angle from the end of the lip making it almost impossible to run a pipe cleaner through either channel. So... the traditional twin bore came and went.
"RADICE devised a method where each of the twin bore channels runs parallel to the other from the end of the lip and connects mid-way down the mouthpiece. In this way the smoke is cooled considerably as it mixes with air in both parallel channels, the pipe draws much more freely, and the pipe smoker can clean his pipe as easily as a standard pipe.* Thus he derives the following benefits in that the Radice twin bore:
1) Helps to alleviate the unpleasant symptoms associated with a delicate palate, and to eliminate tongue bite for the smoker who uses Virginia blends or aromatics;

2) Allows the smoker to puff more easily;

3) Makes allowance for uneven packing of the pipe.
"The result is a more pleasant smoking experience.
* For those of you that have purchased a Radice twin bore pipe with the clear acrylic mouthpiece, please adhere to the following cleaning procedures in order to insure that the blackened center channels remain such:

Allow the pipe to cool for 5 minutes before cleaning

Use only regular fluffy pipe cleaners- not extra wide or bristle cleaners"
-- R.D. Field
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/radice-twin-bore
Yes that is pollen, i gotta clean that thing off soon. It's terrible where i live right now, the pollen index is off the charts. Thanks to you and rsuninv for the compliments!

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Nice. Nice. !!!

BTW Looks like Tankard or Cherrywood than Poker to me.
I do have a twin-bore stem and you are right. Very good to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.