PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hi all!!!
I'm thinking of picking up a new pipe that I've had my eye on. It's new (unsmoked), and it's a Radice in the mid-$200 range.
Can anyone tell me of their experience or knowledge of "Gigi"'s pipes? I'm pretty smitten...(Damn PAD).....
ARGHHHHHH!
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I'm GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I searched and found This.
I beg the pardon of the board.
Shipmates of the Black Frigate, I submit meeself fer the obligatory keel-haulin'...........
CW

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Be sure to check out the selection at board sponsor Alpascia in Italy. They are a top notch dealer and often have Radice’s priced very competitively and with vulcanite stems if that is your preference.
Yes, good pipes! Typical Italianate designs, usually uncoated bowls with good drilling. My only issue with Radice is some designs feature a very thin stem wall, so be sure to check this area.
Finally, if you aren’t wedded to this maker and are looking to perhaps save a few bucks on an Italian pipe, I suggest taking a peek at the current big sale at Neatpipes, another Italian vendor. The Rinaldo’s are particularly attractive right now.
Good luck with whichever you choose, I think you have all good choices ahead.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Ok, so I read the thread. Dammit.
Bought the damn thing........
Here it is....
Radice_Bamboo.jpg

I need serious therapy.
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks, @bigpond....I did consider your post in my decision. I'm OK with the Lucite stem, and I got a discount on this one at SmokingPipes, so I figured I'd go for it.
:)
CW

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Mmmmmmmmmaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhh! Damn PAD beast is trying to break the chains again....I just got it beaten back and back in the restraints by deep meditation, some grain alcohol and cradling my current set of pipes while smoking a bowl of Frigate.....Now this...

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Awesome! I’m a big fan of unstained pipes. You grabbed a pretty sweet one for sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Really handsome pipe, and it will color up in an impressive way I'd guess. It's priced up there, but Redice always gets good reviews from owners. I don't think you'll regret it. Bamboo can be tricky but that works nicely. About Gigi, apparently the pipe maker has quite a rep for his artisan work but also sells what are closer to (or are) factory pipes, made under his supervision. I've admired these for years, on and off, but always concluded that they are somewhat heavy for their size bowls, so I've never done the deal. They have good design and look well made.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
You should keep that photo for reference and as each month goes by give us a shot of how it is changing, a Vergin Briar takes on some of the nicest coloration over tine better than most dyes could ever accomplish, it will be a wonderful experience for those who have not had the pleasure of making a beautiful pipe even more so, it’s faster and more dramatic in some cases than Meerschaum taking on color, enjoy that beauty.

banjo

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Bamboo can be tricky but that works nicely
One of the things that caught my eye about this pipe is that the "bamboo" area is actually hand carved "faux" bamboo...that is the bamboo is carved out of the unstained briar. Supposedly, it's only the 2nd one of these SmokingPipes had ever seen. Pretty excited to get it.
@banjo Thanks! I'll do that!
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Well, the Radice arrived today. Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to smoke it. The "faux bamboo" detail is beautiful, and the pipe has a very good feel and nice heft, with amply thick unstained briar walls. Drilling appears perfect.
Any advice on breaking in an unstained pipe? I was thinking of starting with some Solani Aged Burley Flake.
Other deliveries today:
2 50g Tins Solani Aged Burley Flake

2 50g Tins Escudo Deluxe Navy Rolls (for cellaring)

2 Tins C&D Quiet Nights

1 Tin C&D Speakeasy

1 Tin C&D Oak ALley

1 Tin C&D Dreams of Kadath

A zillion pipe cleaners

3 MM Legends (for smoking blending tobaccos to work on tasting them individually)
I'll try to post monthly pics of how the pipe is coloring....
Fin
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Decided to break in the pipe with some Oak Alley......holy crap i LOVE THIS PIPE....and it's not even broken in. The heft, the feel in my hand, the open draw, the ease of smoking it.....I'm so screwed..........
PAD, take me away!
CW

Status
Not open for further replies.