PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
This is my first high dollar pipe. I wondered when I ordered this last week if I was getting a pipe larger than I expected, but I like how it feels in the hand. If I would change anything, it'd be a bit longer in the stem. I certainly wouldn't want it shorter. Unlike other Radice pipes I've looked at online, this has a Vulcanite stem. The Rind rustication is attractive and feels sort of "glassy", not like the Peterson rustication on my Donegal Rocky B5, which has a "woody" feel. This pipe sits differently in the mouth than my two Petersons, the second being a Kenmare 106 Billiard, both with Fishtails. The Radice wants to sit right behind the lips. It's very comfortable. Of course, this isn't for clenchers. I'm a sipper. Chamber diameter is 0.92, and chamber depth is 2.12 inches. Weight is 3,70 ounces.
I'm inaugurating this pipe with Dunhill's Mixture 965, at only a third of a bowl. To get a sense of how deep the bowl is: a Czech Tool standing in the empty bowl is in the bowl up to just before the scoop begins. It fits easily. I can't even get the tool to fit to the bottom of my 106.
I like this pipe. I like the size and heft. I'm happy I got it. This going to be a great pipe for watching movies or reading a book.
002-030-2232_1.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/radice/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=159276

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I love Radice pipes, they are one of the best value pipes out there. All mine are great smokers. Very nice finding one with a vulcanite stem, great pipe!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A Radice "silk cut" was my first high dollar pipe and it's one of if not "the" favorite pipe in my rotation. Light as feather and smokes like a dream. Congrats on your new pipe! It's a beauty.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Very nice pipe! I have been considering between that pipe or another Kaywoodie to be my next purchase.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I like it. You inspired me. I picked up this Radice Rind estate after I saw your post.

radice-rind-3.jpg

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I will definitely buy another Radice. I got this pipe sort of as a compromise for a GG Castello I want, but now I'm completely satisfied. I actually like some of the Radice interpretations of shapes more than Castello. And the price is $200 less.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
When considering a Radice, don't forget European sites like this one. They have a whole different set of choices and the prices are definitely lower. I have purchased from this site.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those thick chamber walls are excellent, and the finish inspiring. I like my pipes, mostly, somewhat lighter weight, but this one is all-over impressive.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a fine looking pipe. Nice choice. :clap: I think Radices are great pipes. I own three.

I never had a Castello, but it's hard to imagine they are very much better than a Radice.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
@maxx & @stanlaurel - those are both great looking pipes! Looks like I have one more pipe maker to watch now. :)

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Beautiful, have 2 & love them, best smokers or as good as anything I own. Including my DH.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I just finished my first full to the top bowl in this pipe, sticking with 965. It took THREE hours!

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I don't know that I have the patience to sit down for a 3 hour smoke!
Congrats again on your new purchase. It looks and sounds like you made a great choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.