PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
My first Rad Davis creation is on its way from smokingpipes.com.
RAD_zps333227e9.jpg

Besides a couple of cobs, this is the first pipe I've bought in nine years; after taking on a surprisingly painful seasonal job grading exams, I thought I had it coming. I've passed on a couple of Charatans and Ashtons that caught my eye, mostly because of the reputation Mr. Davis enjoys on this forum.
Here's another view:
RADII_zps1b7f1c3e.jpg

It seems such a long time until Friday...

Dec 24, 2012
I looked at that one and thought it was the one I would buy if I was in the market for another Rad. Congrats.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sweet purchase - I like the all black sandblast and white band. Hope Friday comes quickly for you!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is a great looking Rad, congrats on your first. I have two of his Rhodesians and I love how they smoke. They are so light and comfortable, you are in for a real treat. Make sure you let us know how you like it after smoking it. One thing you will be amazed at is how the pipe will never need a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture, they smoke that dry.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
You all are very kind.
I'll check back in when I've had a few bowls - very excited...

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
At the risk of continuing the show-off trend, here's an update.
The first bowl was interesting - not unpleasant at all. The second bowl was decidedly enjoyable and the one today was downright tasty.
The construction is as near to perfect as I could imagine. The tenon and mortise are aligned and there is no gap on the inside. The button and stem are exceedingly comfortable and the airway into the bowl is executed flawlessly. Harris is right about the dry smoke - truly astonishing from a quarter-bent pipe.
This sounds like a commercial, but if you're in the market for a hand-made pipe, you should look at one of these. As someone mentioned on another thread, the sandblasts are bargains in comparison to the smooth (and I happen to like blasts better, anyway).
I follow all the debates about whether to spend money on a new pipe or on stocking the cellar, and, while I think maybe I should have bought 10 pounds of bulk tobacco, I'm so happy with the pipe I can't regret it regardless of whether it was prudent.
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I didn't know who Rad Davis was a year ago. You are all PAD enablers!
Here's the obligatory photo...
IMG_0951_zpscfbbdc43.jpg

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I looked at that pipe, JB. I just couldn't pull the trigger right now. That is a beautiful pipe and I lusted in my heart for it.
I know it will be one of your finest smokers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jb, glad to hear you are enjoying your new pipe. Pretty amazing how dry, how light and how comfy isn't it? Just wait until it is fully broken in( which will not take that long), the quality of the smoke keeps getting better and better. I have a feeling this won't be your last Rad.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
JB
Congrats on that beautiful Rhodesian
It looks absolutely magnificent. Enjoy
Now, to other folks who haven't purchased one of Rads pipes
Don't bother
It's all hype
They really are not that good, and you should try others work. Really.
(Ok, I am kidding)
I'm actually concerned that if too many of our members buy up his work as soon as he makes them, he will raise his prices.
Allan

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the update. From what everyone who owns a Rad has been saying, I am not surprised! I keep telling myself, one day...one day... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.