PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
The fourth pipe of my seven day set completed today. I have wanted a bent brandy for quite some time and I am very pleased with the results of this latest commission. Pipe #5 in the set will be a "Bing".
Dimensions are:
Overall: 1 3/4 x 5 3/4
Bowl: 3/4 x 1 1/2
Weight: 42 grams
The stem is cumberland with an inlay of spalted tamarind.

Here are links to the first three in the set:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/latest-rad-davis-commission-double-mahogany-blast-apple
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rad-davis-seven-day-set-pipe-2-double-mahogany-blast-dublin
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rad-davis-seven-day-set-pipe-3-double-mahogany-blast-18-bent-long-shank-zulu

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Chris
Absolutely superb looking instrument; the shape, the stem, the bowl all look amazing
I know it will smoke wonderfully and congrats on number 4

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's purdy. I see you've loaded it up with Ye Olde Ball Bearing Plug, lol.
Question about Rad's pipes -- is the mortise flat or rounded? It looks rounded in the photo, but it also looks like there couldn't be a very big tenon-mortise gap. Can you guys who own his pipes speak to that?

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks guys.
Question about Rad's pipes -- is the mortise flat or rounded? It looks rounded in the photo, but it also looks like there couldn't be a very big tenon-mortise gap. Can you guys who own his pipes speak to that?
I pulled apart a few of mine and they were all flat. I doubt there is much of a tenon-mortise gap if any on his pipes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Many thanks, Chris. Must be the shadows in the picture. For a second, I though Rad had some kind of special funnelling form the mortise end that made for a smoother airflow (not that this would make any sense). I guess he does just by doing things right -- whocouldanode?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chris, an awesome addition to the collection. Great blast, elegant shape, great stem application and love the color. It is a definite winner and I know it will smoke fantastic. Congrats buddy.
pitch, not sure about shape, but I do know this, his tenons must be almost flush with the mortise because when I clean his pipes, there is barely any dirt left in that spot after dozens of bowls smoked. That was one thing about British pipes that used to piss me off, huge gaps and all kinds of filth needed to be cleaned from that gap. Out of all my artisan pipes, only my Butera has a decent size gap, I put up with it because it smokes so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.