PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Starting off with a lovely interpretation of the classic Virginia flavor. Warm, soft hay without any rough edges or strong vegetal taste. More bite than I like, though, which is disappointing. Snork reminds me of a summer breeze in a field. Pure, smooth and delicious, with a bit of bitey spice in the back of the nose.
Bite diminishes. Flavor gets a little sweeter, a little more woody as I approach the middle of the bowl. (MM Country Gentleman) Very enjoyable smoke, despite a lack of complexity or nuance.
Sweetness dimishes some, that woodiness gets stronger again. Almost at the bottom of my pipe now. No bite for a while.
As I expect from S.G., a quality tobacco. Something good to smoke when I'm not up for a super strong bit of baccy.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Great review. I love this flake. I love it fresh, I love it aged, I love it in a boat, I love it in a car, I love FVF any way I can get it.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not sure how you did it, but I absolutely MUST let this flake dry out for at least 6 hours before smoking..preferably over night.

That diminishes the "bite" for me, and really opens up the sweet notes.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Bluegrassbrian, I cube cut and also rub out FVF. But I also have a very unconventional way of doing it. I remove half a jar and put it in a zip lock bag and then leave the lid off of the jar for 24 hours. The next day I combine the contents of the bag with the jar and put the lid back on. I let it sit for two days and I end up with a jar of FVF that is pretty much ready to roll.
I live in Southern Nevada, not Southern Louisiana. .....it matters.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I love it with a goat, I love it crossing a moat. I love it on the run, I love it with a big ass glass of scotch.
What can I say.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I dried it for at least an hour before lighting, might've been a little more than two. I'll have to go longer next time, try and kill off the bite.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice review, Rabbit! I'll second the need for dry time with this one too.
LOL, Tim ... I'd say you like the stuff! :D
I've been spending time lately with FVF's less finicky cousin, Best Brown ... another great smoke from SG.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
1. Cube cut tobacco.

2. Be distracted by basically everything.

3. Return to workshop. "Oh look, tobacco!"

4. Smoke until eyes cross.
Sounds good to me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Haines, now you have tried and enjoyed FVF might I suggest you try finding some Limited Edition Aged FVF?
This was a very small batch produced for the Pipe Club Of London in 2014 (I believe) with two years age on it when tinned.
It is so very much nicer, darker in colour and deeper in flavour.
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I picked up the last tin of it at Straus yesterday..they said it was a little over a year old..so I'm going to add it to my very small cellar collection. I've missed a couple opportunities as of late to pick up some older tins of it...kicking myself.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
@Ash, but do you love it on a train? Don't you think you've gone insane? Do you love it in the air? Do you love it everywhere? Do you love the taste of hay? Is this what you're trying to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.