PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
2008 tin with an interesting sounding tobacco inside. Has a strange smell, though not unpleasant. Vinegary, definitely has those McC Virginias! A little bit of a topsoil-esque smell under that Virginia. I have found that I enjoy Perique blends in my Savinelli 320ks, so that's what I'm packing it into. Now, this isn't a Perique blend; it is sold as having the "first new pipe tobacco component in forty years", Cajun Black. It is a cross-bred Virginia, fire cured and then pressed in the same way as Perique. Apparently Royal Cajun is made by a former owner of La Roche, where real Saint James Perique is born.
One of three blends in the line, RC Special has the Royal Cajun mixed with a few different Virginias.
Moving on to the actual review!!
Starts off very mild. A little sweet, but in a pleasant and reserved fashion. The smoke is thin and I prefer a heavier cloud. The Virginias are hay with a touch of soft orangey citrus at the end. It appears that the Royal Cajun smooths out any wrinkles, balancing the blend and adding a touch of leathery chocolate to the flavor.
Halfway through the bowl, something unusual (to me) starts to come up. It is woody, smokey, and sweet. Reminds me of the Kentucky Fire Cured that I've tried, but is lightly swirled with a plum-like note. Same until end of bowl.
I want to tell you that this is a shockingly different blend, or that the Royal Cajun is tremendously different. It is good, it is interesting, but I'm not yet sure if it is especially unique. Further testing of this and the other two blends will tell me (& you) more.

Status
Not open for further replies.