PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Latakia isn't something I keep well stocked in my cellar. I don't hate the stuff, but I just find myself avoiding it for some reason. Peeling back the lid on this tin, I think that might be a good thing. The "tin note" of Bombay Extra is strong; very smokey with a bit of vinegar. Don't need more than one whiff to get the picture!
Tin is dated from 2014.
Drying it on my mat, it is just the smallest bit too wet out of the tin. I like recalling how my methods have changed over the past few months of smoking. Moisture content before smoking never came on my radar at the beginning, and I only recently began to understand just how important it is. Imagine what I'll learn in the coming months and years!
Pipe packed, my Latakia-dedicated cob. She d'un't see much service. Grab my little device, throw on a coat and hat, check my pocket for matches. Walking outside, turn on some music. Went with Daisies Of The Galaxy by Eels. Good album, haven't listened to it in a while.
First couple puffs are surprisingly mild on the Latakia front. Getting a meaty smokiness, some nutty notes. A little spice at the front of my tongue, a fair bit more in the snork.
After the first 1/4 of the pipe, the flavors have melted together, gained a slight breadiness and lost the nut. The Lat is taking charge, but it remains soft and smooth on the edges. Pipe is burning perfectly. Could be the cold, dry weather. Maybe I packed it perfectly or hit the perfect cadence.
About 1/3 in, a mild dark fruit flavor pops up in the background, a delightful supporting actor. The Latakia's still meaty and smokey, but deliciously so. This doesn't seem to be a tremendously well refined blend, but it is quite tasty.
About 1/2 way through the bowl, still no relights. A rare triumph for me! Some oak notes appear besides the fruit, attempting to tame the Latakia.
Moving along, the fruit recedes some, giving room for the oak to stretch out and develop a youthful, nutty cast. Either I am growing used to the Latakia, or it has weakened some. Snork has grown too spicy to enjoy.
After another tamp, I am at the bottom of the bowl. Some chocolate has made its way into the smoke, largely replacing the earlier wood notes. The fruit mixes pleasantly with this. Still no relights.
I am quite pleased with this tobacco, though I believe it would be much better with some more age on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.