PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Rubbed out, loaded into the pipe.
Sweet, light smoke. This isn't supposed to be flavored, but at the end of each puff I get a little bit of something that seems to be on the fringe of vanilla. No distinct grass or hay taste. Overall, the smoke has a slightly doughy flavor.
Smooth smoke with only a tiny bit of bite.
I'm halfway into the bowl. Sweetness has gone down, resulting in a bit of an oaky, grassy flavor moving into the smoke. Not more bite.
Finishes the same.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Trading and buying. Mostly trading. When I started smoking a pipe I traded with a friend on a cigar forum, she sent me about 20 .5-2.5oz samples in addition to the stuff we'd agreed upon. Made sure to send a nice thank you gift!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If you want to taste what a good plain-VA flake is like, try Capstan Blue, which is also IIRC produced by MacBaren's. And if you want to taste what a great plain-VA flake is like, try Dunhill's flake. Then try their Deluxe Navy Rolls, a VA-Per flake(coin) with just enough Perique to enhance the flavor, but not enough to give it that awful peppery sensation too much Perique does. If you're like me you won't ever go back to a plain VA except as a blending base with a wee bit of BCA to produce an outstanding mostly-natual-tobacco-flavor smoke with a room-note everyone will like.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I've not tried Capstan yet, but I did try the flake. Not sure about navy rolls, I'll have to check.
There's a good chance that I have a high tolerance for tobacco spice; I love a high-Perique blend and have yet to smoke one that was too peppery, or even very peppery. This is includes straight Perique, which I greatly enjoy puffing on.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Dunhills Virginia flake has a honey/citrus topping so I don't know why it would be the best representation of a plain va flake.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Dunhills Virginia flake has a honey/citrus topping
Can you provide a link to any authoritative (meaning Dunhill, a seller, a reputable blender) reference supporting that wild assertion? Natural sweetness and citrusy flavor from the VA, yes. Topping, never read anything to that effect.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
@mawnansmiff - I've got tons of different tobaccos to try, and I'm an easily bored fellow. Many of my newbie reviews come after two or three bowls, but many are single bowl reviews. They're written to give myself an archive of my tobacco experiences, and I post them so I can share my adventures with all you good folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.