Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Tried Prince Albert, actually seemed to enjoy it. So, less fearful of codger blends, I grabbed my Five Brothers.
First real puff, I think I've made a mistake. Seems harsh, very harsh. Not bitey, not spicey. I don't want to call it chemical, but the smoke has this overbearing taste that reminds me of some of the cleaners from my workshop. It is as if someone wetted the tobacco with a spritz of paint thinner and stale coffee, then mixed in some old cigarette butts.
As I move through the bowl, I can feel that flavor coating my tongue, but I begin to taste something a little better underneath it. Slightly bitter wood, best I can describe it. Snork is unpleasantly harsh. Perhaps I have been spoiled by C&D, McClelland, Sam Gawith.
The underlying flavor sweetens some, but the general taste is still quite ugly. By the time I get to the middle of the bowl I find the woodiness is no longer bitter and might have a slight nuttiness to it. It seems to me that these two flavors are side by side on my palate.
Every relight, no matter how cautious, reignites the harshness of this blend. Either I have grown accustomed to that chemical flavor or it is receding a bit.
End of the bowl comes, not much more variation in flavor. I am very turned off by this blend.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This blend seems a lot like Semois to me: you have to pack it tightly to keep it from burning too fast. If that happens, the nuttiness comes out with a faint sweetness.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I couldn't say for certain that I packed it very tight, but it definitely wasn't loose. Next time I try this, I'll pack tighter.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Tightness is key, almost to the point of really having to draw very hard at 1st. It will loosen it's self up some. This is my personal favorite. At least 3 pouch's a week minimum. It is a fast burner, once lit puff slow an tiny. Try it again. :puffy:

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I'm going to echo the sentiments of deathmetal and scrooge. 5 Bros works best for me when I pack it really tight. Much, MUCH tighter than any other blend I've ever smoked. It's really counter-intuitive based on all the constant "don't pack your tobacco too tight" advice that goes along with every other blend :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I approached Five Brothers with dread, so dry and fine cut. However, I liked it right away. Something about burley, for me.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'm definitely going to give it another short very soon, considering your responses. Thanks for the input, fellas! Normally I quite enjoy the Burleys, I had expected this to continue the trend!

Status
Not open for further replies.