PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Joannis van Loon, Doctor Medicinae and Chirurgeon, friend and doctor to Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, about 1669, quoted this about tobacco. "I love my pipe, and I shall always think that a man who is capable of writing a treatise against tobacco shows a regrettable lack of the common decencies of civilized existence."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Again, another positive pipe quote from a smoker. I'm more interested in such from a non-smoker. We pipe smokers have very little negative, as expected, to say about our habit (hobby?). The quotes from pipe smokers of renown usually sound as though they are simply trying to justify their smoking to themselves; makes me smarter, deeper, better looking, etc. The quotes always seem so self-serving. Stalin never mentioned the pipe as a humanizing element in his life. Nor, did he extol how tolerant the evening pipe making him, mellowing him even as it filled him the "milk of human kindness."

May 4, 2015
We do operate within a vacuum, don't we?
My wife has nothing but positive things to say about pipe smoking, even though she doesn't partake. It would be nice if non-smokers who had a reasonable head on their shoulders were more vocal about some of the more positive aspects of smoking. People of that description and opinion must constitute a statistical ZERO of the population, though.

May 4, 2015
Depends on what you define as a pipe smoker. The FDA seems to think 1 out of 100 CHILDREN is a pipe smoker, per the study they cited in the regulations.
According to their tolerances, adult pipe smokers must be 1 out of 10. I'm surprised there are even enough pipes and tobacco to go around for all of us and we aren't all drowning in a sea of ambient smoke.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's weird how all the marijuana forums are full of potheads crowing about how great weed is, and the beer forums are full of guzzlers extolling the virtues of brew. You'd think they'd be a little more critical of themselves for doing something they enjoy.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Seeing how much smoke can affect/damage most objects in our world I am amazed at how well the human body can handle it. If I had never heard of smoking before and one were to tell me they were going to smoke a pack of cigarettes in one day I would have thought that it would have surely killed if not permanently affected the lungs/mouth of that person. Yet people smoke 2+ packs a day and can live a whole life time... amazing!

May 4, 2015
You'd think they'd be a little more critical of themselves for doing something they enjoy.
One can be pragmatic, honest and transparent without necessarily being critical.
I agree 100% with Warren. Of course pipe smokers have tomes full of flowery quotes extolling the virtues of tobacco. They're all great, but it's also prudent to objectively admit we're masturbating.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
You had to go back 400 years to find a positive quote about pipe smoking from a doctor?! :P

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Ahmad said, *400 years later* Smoking kills, but who cares :puffpipe: :D
I say. Who cares is right. Breathing the air can kill us. Drinking too much water can kill us. God or whatever diety you do or do not believe in, didn't create man to be immortal. If he wanted us to live for ever he would have made us immortal. Mother Nature didn't intend on anything on this planet living for ever or else there wouldn't be predators on this planet.
We will all eventually die.
Humans is the only species on the planet to fail to recognize this basic truth.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
My son had this observation: Chemically, water is an acid. (Apperently in the way chemists/biologist classify such things, and not how most of the rest of us do.) Anyway - let some water sit on bare steel for a while, wipe off the water, and take a picture of the ensuing rust. Caption that picture "If it can do this to steel, imagine what havoc it's wreaking on your body! Ban water!!!"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm all for moderation. I'm not trying to discover what ill effects pipe smoking might have on me, with whatever susceptibilities I might have. If you/I can limit or cut back a little, that's probably good. Relaxation, contemplation, and sociability that come with pipe smoking, and pleasure, may promote health or balance any ill effects.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Who cares, Let me decide, not gona live forever so let me enjoy my life while I can, screwit... Im going for a smoke

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Nobody but smokers think about smoking in a positive way anymore. Society needed a bogeyman, so it chose one, mainly because we live in very fearful times where people panic about relative non-issues as a means of denying much bigger and obvious issues. I doubt we will hear much from non-smokers for that reason.
As far as health risks, my estimate is that in a few years we will have a genetics test to tell you if you are at risk for lung cancer as a smoker. At that point, the issue will be moot: some people can smoke their whole lives and do just fine, where others run a high risk even with moderate exposure. By the same token, people who live on a diet of cheeseburgers and never leave the couch, and also smoke cigarettes, are probably doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.