PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You probably have it pushed in, make sure it looks like "quote" and not "/quote" when you press it. Or you can just type [ ] around the words quote, /quote

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
They go in order, so if the first one has already been hit, it will come up with the close quote (/quote).
I tend to hit quote, paste, then hit quote again. If the /quote comes first, I edit. Does that help?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
[/quote]
I tend to hit quote, paste, then hit quote again.
I've always used the button just as described above and it's worked perfectly. But now the second quote always jumps in front, instead of where it should go.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"I copy, past, highlight the passage, then select quote."
It doesn't work in this order above.
It's highlight, then copy, then paste.

Jun 27, 2016
Other vBulletin boards that I go to have a quote button built into each post so that you can capture the whole statement and the username with one click, and a multi-quote button so you can stack multiple users statements and usernames in the reply box with one click each.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"I copy, past, highlight the passage, then select quote."
It doesn't work in this order above.
It's highlight, then copy, then paste.
Yes, to get the original passage in the clipboard, you need to do that. And then once it's pasted, highlight again and hit the Quote button.
It's broken for me for some dumb ass reason I'm sure. The second F'ing time I hit the quote button, it always jumps to the front instead of the back.
For some reason your cursor has jumped to the wrong spot....
But I've always used the Quote, then paste (what's in the clipboard from a previous copy function), then Quote again (which should provide the /quote).

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Yes, to get the original passage in the clipboard, you need to do that. And then once it's pasted, highlight again and hit the Quote button.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's apparently what some smart folks do here. For whatever reason, I've been hitting Quote, then pasting, then hitting Quote again. Works fine, other method may be better.
"Life is, in fact, a battle. Evil is insolent and strong; beauty enchanting but rare; goodness very apt to be weak; wickedness to carry the day; imbeciles to be in great places, people of sense in small, and mankind generally unhappy. But the world as it stands is no illusion, no phantasm, no evil dream of night; we wake up to it again for ever and ever; we can neither forget it nor deny it nor dispense with it"

~ Henry James, 1843-1916
You can also paste in the passage, then move the cursor to the front, hit Quote, then move to the end and hit Quote again. Whew! More about quoting than anyone cared to know! :)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
[/quote]
You can also paste in the passage, then move the cursor to the front, hit Quote, then move to the end and hit Quote again. Whew! More about quoting than anyone cared to know!
Okay John, (thanks for trying to figure this out) I just did the above and the second time I hit quote it STILL jumps to the front.
Oh well, I'll just have to look like the tech challenged curmudgeon that I am. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.