PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
That's it I'm quitting nails. Well, rollies, but still....
I am 100% pipe for two days now. This board has been very helpful. Somehow it seems to help if I immerse myself in the hobby. So I've been on a lot more than normal. Wish me luck!!

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I too would like to do likewise. So best of luck to you sothron. If I had some tobacco with at least a negligable nicotine content, maybe it would be easier. I smoke a lot less now that I have a pipe, but not at the quitting cigs stage quite yet.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I wish you the best of luck in this, its a difficult thing to do. Stick with and you can kick the nasty nail habit. :puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
Congrats brother, maybe some stronger pipe bacci blends

and some nasal snuff on the side to help kick the nails
Try some Peterson UF, Irish flake and for the $$ I like

C&D's Night Train, under $30/pnd
Also the SG blends; if you like them such as Bracken and 1792,

should help the Nic demands

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Thanks for the support, guys. I've been weaning myself off over a period of time, ran out of rolling tobacco, and just didn't buy any more. Pipes make me happy. Nails were just something I did, no real happiness attached.
Unfortunately guys, that's bad news for you. Everything that makes me happy is soon taxed or regulated out of existence by the nanyang statists!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Rothnh: Funny you should say that. I placed a TAD order today:
Orlik Golden Sliced

McConnell Scottish Cake

St James Woods

Several Escudo

Bayou Slice
Chakaraka: I have found, as a Long time cigarette smoker (good quality rolling tobacco), that VaPers seem to do the trick in terms of flavor and nic hit.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Good Luck. I quit nails about 3 years ago. I took half the money I spent on cigs each month and stocked up on tins. The other half I put in savings for pipes. Its not easy but you can do it.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
don't cave like i just did, bought my first pack in about a month and a half (not that i didn't smoke at all through that time the wife smokes so) but not having them helped alot its easier for obvious reasons. i just need to get more pipes to rotate more often.
Anyway you seem like your doing great keep it up don't be a slave to the cigarettes they don't even taste good i just felt like crap smoking the first cig in that pack i bought and it didnt help so just dont cave its not worth it believe me.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm going to be on the forum a lot as I win this battle. Please forgive me if I wear out my welcome.
So this is day three after several weeks of weaning, first down to 12 nails, then half dozen, then three, then two.
So far so good. I'm smoking a lot of pipes, obviously, and just ordered up a number of cobs to give my briars a rest.
Frankly, I'm surprised at how easy it's been so far. I heard the firsst three days are the hardest but....??

Gradual weanng helped. And obviously pipes have been the main factor.
Those of you out there thinking of quitting --- you can do it. Just think through it. Pour yourself into the pipe hobby.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Well done sir!
I used a similar method & haven't had a ciggie since April 1st...

Jan 8, 2013
I want to quit cigarettes so bad, and that's a part of the reason I took up the pipe. But i can't just light up a pipe all the time like the other.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I want to quit cigarettes so bad, and that's a part of the reason I took up the pipe. But i can't just light up a pipe all the time like the other.
Right! I have found that it helps to have a specific place to smoke. Also, pipe smoking takes much more patience and time to prepare your tobacco and clean your pipes. The nice thing about a pipe is that you can set it down and come back to it later. You can't do that with cigars.

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah I guess you can do that, Flyguy. Maybe I'll load up a pipe before work every day, and instead of taking a cigarette break here and there throughout the day, I'll take a few puffs off the pipe. I do carry a cork around with me now, that I trimmed a bit to fit my pipe. I can always cork it and save it for later.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That is the hardest thing for me. The time management. I only like smoking my pipe when I have atleast a half hour. Other wise I feel the need for a cigarette still. Working on it, ...Working on it...

Maybe try smoking a bowl off and on over the course of the day, if you can't set aside the time. During the busy holiday season, I couldn't stay outside of my shop for more than 10 minutes without someone coming in to buy something, so I was constantly picking up and putting down my pipe. I think Virginias work out better for this sort of thing, but maybe give it a go on whatever your blend of choice is.
This isn't my preferred way to smoke, but sometimes it's the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.