PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I know many of you have done this more or less successfully. I was going to try it on my summer vacation. Now I need good reasons to psych myself. Obvious ones are
- the quality of the tobacco is much better with pipes

- pipe smoking is better for my health

- I rather see myself as a pipe smoker than a cig smoker
One I'm no sure of is the economical side of it. I already have all the pipes I could possibly need (and then some). Lets say you smoke around a pack of cigs/day. How many days would a 50g tin of pipe tobacco last you if you are using an "average" bowl sized pipe?

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
As for cost, I would estimate you can buy a 50g tin of good pipe tobacco for about every two packs of cigarettes you are purchasing.
Then figure how long it takes you to smoke a tin of pipe tobacco.
BigMike

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
That's actually a pretty good way to estimate cost over a period of time. Personally I have found it cheaper since I smoke a pipe less often than I did smoking cigarettes.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
First off I'd like to congratulate you one taking the first step of quitting, and that is considering it.

I have tried multiple times and after about three weeks or a month I'm back on them. I'd love to make pipe smoking my main, and only, source of tobacco.

The only problem I've seen with the pipe is that I cannot always pack and light one anywhere due to time. An example would be my break during class or work.

Of course that shouldn't discourage anyone from actually quitting, but it crosses my mind each time.

I 50g tin of bacci lasts me quite a while being that I only smoke a bowl or two a day but I'm sure if you made it you're primary source of tobacco, you'd go through it quicker.

I wish you the best if you do decide to quit!

Happy puffing! :puffy:

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Although a solution to the time issue is easy to solve now that I ponder it more.

It isn't necessary to smoke the whole bowl at once, and you could always use a pipe with a smaller bowl.

It is quite ironic that today over my morning cig, I thought about quitting and then I came upon this post.
-Sorry for the second post!

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I personally use an electronic cigarette to help me keep myself away from cigarettes. It is a bit of an investment but I've found it quite worthwhile. If I get a hankering I can just take it out and use regardless of where I am and I don't even have to go outside. It will take a bit of effort to wean oneself off it to not need it at all but it's entirely doable.
It may not look or seem much different than cigarettes but in my opinion that is the advantage it has over other forms of quitting aids. At the very least you are getting the nicotine that you need and not damaging your lungs at the level that cigarettes do. So even if you never stop using it you're at least in a better boat.
Just one option on the table. This recommendation is coming from a guy who tried the patches five different times with no lasting success (but the vivid dreams were a pleasant side effect) and the gum once. Abandoned that for the damn taste. I've never had it but I bet that I'd prefer snus.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
but I'm sure if you made it you're primary source of tobacco, you'd go through it quicker
That is what I am trying to figure out. I suspect a tin may last me 5 days or more (and then I would be making a profit).
ichbinmuede: I am going to use snuff as a backup, mainly because I already like it. I do have some nicotine "inhalors" too but I hope I won't have to use those.
Over here e-cigs are banned from everywhere, almost like cigs.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I've used the e cig and i agree that they are very nice. My dog always tries to eat them though.

I've been wanting to try snuff as a quitting aid also, but I don't know where I should go to get it and which is the best.
As far as the tin, I guess you'll have to take into consideration the size of the bowl and how many bowls per day that you smoke.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Another problem is that I am a creature of habit. I always have a cig at a certain time of the day. This could be a blessing in disguise though: I've successfully switched my weekend morning cig to a weekend morning pipe. And my after dinner coffee cig to an after dinner coffee with pipe.
I have to order some Toque "Quit" snuff. It is pretty much made for this purpose.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
my weekend morning cig to a weekend morning pipe. And my after dinner coffee cig to an after dinner coffee with pipe.
I might have to try this myself.

Also, where do you go for your snuff? Is there a decent website for it?

My local B&M does not carry it, and the closest one that goes only has a couple tins of one kind at a time. Plus it's quite the drive.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Here's an affordable solution: Man up and quit. Yes you will be a bit cranky, yes you will want to eat more, yes your metabolism will slow a bit. Start exercising, start eating better and hold your head up high that you are able to resist the temptation. I know it's not easy, but I did it. My solution to the problem of not being able to quickly pack and smoke a pipe whenever you have a craving is also simple: You don't need to pack and smoke a pipe if there is not time to do so. You have to break the cigarette smoker mentality of using tobacco as a delivery system for the drug you are addicted to and shift to the pipe smoker mentality of smoking because of the enjoyment you derive from the sensory input that pipe smoking provides. Same reason I consider myself a drinker and lover of fine wine, beer and spirits but do not consider myself an alcoholic. Pleasure over habit or addiction my friends. To all those of you trying to quit I salute you and encourage you to continue and see it through.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Well said ohin3 and I congratulate you on successfully quitting.

The smokers mentality is hard to drop just like you said and I don't believe everyone is always able to do it right away. It may take a few attempts before actually quitting.

We are all different, so it can only be expected that some quit faster than others.

This thread is starting to increase my desire to quit again.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Just get John Wayne on that shit and force yourself. Hold that cigarette in your hand, look at it and say fuck you bud, I promised myself I wouldn't and I mean not to, then break it and toss it to the ground and walk away. I always see myself as some sort of super hero fighting an insurmountable foe when trying to break a habit. You gotta be like Superman lying on the ground all bloodied and broken with his attacker sneering at him and laughing at him and then reach down deep and muster that last of that super strength, pull the kryptonite chain from around your neck and then beat Lex Luthor's ass!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
In this topic, I believe I am a pro!

I smoked cigs for 30 yrs, the last 6 or 8 yrs I was smoking about 2 packs a day.

I have been off cigs completely now for 1 year and 7 months!

I have also been on the pipe for 16 yrs.

One 50g pouch of pipe baccy will last you approx. 3-4 days if you are a one pack a day smoker. I was a 2 pack a day man and I smoke 2.5 pouches or 125g per week.

I didn't find enough nic in the pipe satisfy my cravings for the cigs until I discovered the heavy nicotine pipe baccy's. Now I always keep some on hand for when I feel nic cravings.

A really good suggestion for you is to keep a small bowl pipe and a pouch of 5 Bro's or Kendal Kentucky, or Dark Birdseye on you at all times in place of your cigs. When you want that nic fix, fill the small pipe up and puff away. Inhale a bit and you will have the answer mate. It is also strong enough to smoke at break time and 5 minutes of it can be enough.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Additionally, when you find what your favorite pipe tobaccos are, you can then buy in bulk and really save the money !!!
I smoked cigarettes for many years and it is really hard to quit. My path was to go to cigars then on to pipes.
After a while, I only smoked for the enjoyment taste of the pipe tobacco and not the nic.
Whatever method you choose, now is the perfect time to quit cigarettes......Good Luck

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
My two cents: If you don't have time for a bowl, you don't have time to smoke. Let your time with the noble weed be one of enjoyment, not something you do every hour or so...

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
. This recommendation is coming from a guy who tried the patches five different times with no lasting success (but the vivid dreams were a pleasant side effect)
The dreams almost make the patches worth it, even I you aren't planning on quitting! :rofl:
For me quitting was 90% mental. Once I got the mindset to quit, it wasn't so bad. I haven't has a cigarette in 5 months 6 days. Do I still want one? All the time, but if you have the will power, you can overcome it. And even if you don't quit cold turkey, break each individual habit (As stated above) until you only smoke a few a day. That should help quite a bit! Best of luck to you :puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I used Zyban to quit the nails. That was 12 years ago and I didn't smoke a pipe back then. I would take johninkc's attitude and just change the dynamic on how you look at smoking. For those brutal cravings that would make you buy a pack, I'd keep a tin of snus handy. The nic hit will be enough to get you by and you don't have to spit so you can have it anywhere. I quit successfully for 2 years this way.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
I used to smoke a pipe in breaks at work, take 5 minutes and wedge a windcap on the pipe and shove it in my pocket and save it for later. No problems.
Now I work for myself and smoke a gazillion bowls a day at my desk.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Going to try and quit!

I've got a couple cigs left and I will finish them. I see many of you were able to and after doing a pack a day for quite some time now, I need to quit. A carton per week is bad and although I've tried a few times before, I see all the success stories on this thread and it's motivating.

I am going to take this motivation and turn it into something positive!

Not quite sure if I will go cold turkey or use the aid of something else.

Has anyone tried chantix?

Status
Not open for further replies.