Quit, Quitting, Have Quit, Maybe. . .

(59 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by saltedplug
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my last smoke. I've had respiratory symptoms for 10 years but wasn't about to quit, but the coughing, sneezing and raw throat have all increased to the point that denial is no longer possible, though my cherished dream has always been that I'll muddle through smoking until the day I die. Not going to happen. What is happening is a worsening of symptoms and likely consequences of having to go through my days with an oxygen bottle, or worse.

It's never been hard for me to put tobacco down, but it's been well nigh impossible not too pick it back up. This time I don't feel I have much choice. I've thought of going to a bowl a day or two or three bowls a week, but my experience with addiction is that while cure is impossible, control isn't, which is best achieved through total abstinence.

You may have seen that I'm still participating on the board, and I'm still going to pipe and tobacco sites. Hard to just stop doing what I've done for so long. If it's a problem I'll stop.

I don't plan on selling a damn thing, as the last time I "quit" I sold my pipes and tobacco for a song; and then started smoking again and bought it all back.

Hope you all enjoy your smokes!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear, and good luck.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear this. Can I ask if you smoke only pipes, and if you inhale? And how much you smoke per day? It's not often we hear of guys quitting for respiratory reasons (as opposed to heart or blood pressure).

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2-3 bowls a day, don't inhale. Thanks for asking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope your health improves by refraining, and I'm sorry to hear you're having to step away. It's never easy to stop something you enjoy, which is why I'm still fat. I can't support you enough in the notion to not sell anything because you're exactly right, and never know what the future holds. You may feel good enough someday to smoke a bowl after dinner, and be able to find a routine that works for you without feeling like you have to go full blown. I stopped smoking pipes at one point and liquidated everything and to some degree regret it. Although, there were lessons learned and the regret has faded. Take a break, I hope you continue to hang out with us on here, and then see what happens; but I hope you start to feel better soon. Being able to breath is pretty damn important.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kudos to you for making the decision to stop before that decision was made for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel for you Salted. There are many complex issues involved here, but know that you have support here. I myself understand completely. In a perfect world it would be possible to just enjoy a bowl or three a week in moderation, but oh how quickly we end up back to our old patterns.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Appreciate the support!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best of luck to you and best wishes for your health. I have always enjoyed your posts here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

I sincerely hope that your health improves. Did you have respiratory issues before the pipe?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Salted, I hope you won’t quit the forums. I’ve always enjoyed your posts, even if I disagreed. You’re a worthy adversary, ha ha. But, maybe you’ll clear up and be able to enjoy it latter... or not. Either way, you should share your knowledge of pipes and finer tobaccos with the new guys, and keep us codgers on our toes. Do whats best for your health. I’ll be rooting for you.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Actually, 2-3 bowls a days is a decent amount of pipe smoking, about 200 grams a month. There's always passive inhaling involved also. When I was smoking 2-3 bowls a day, I was shorter of breath with a kind of permanent irritation of the airways, developed acid reflux, was more dependent on the pipe and felt more sluggish. After taking six month off, I came back to the hobby with another philosophy where quality was more important than quantity. Each person is different, the important thing is to find your sweet spot and to control this addiction before it controls you. Once in a blue moon I go for 2-3 bowls for that day but then I stop for days and even weeks.

I hope that your symptoms get better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about your health problems. Could seasonal allergies be making it worse?

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wise man to trust yourself and cease completely. Quitting, hopefully will keep the symptoms from worsening. Best of luck and keep contributing.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a plethora of healthier endeavors for you to indulge in beyond pipe smoking. Best wishes on your new and improved lifestyle. To the rest of us, at least for now, happy piping.

Dot
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Salteplug:I feel your pain,let wait and see how this turns out, I second mr Virginalover statement here.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I am also sorry to hear that. I am glad that you are making the right decision.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking since 2001 and have read and studied about pipes and tobaccos, smoked, thought and repeated, so it's not a little thing to give up smoking. Thanks to all for your support.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

saltedplug - before you give up, I have a couple more questions:

- Before picking up the pipe in 2001, did you smoke cigarettes?

- Have you seen a pulmonologist?

- Have you been fully investigated (CT, lung function tests etc.) for smoking-related diseases, e.g. COPD and/or emphysema?

I hope I'm not being presumptuous; I am a retired (as of two weeks ago) pulmonary physician and if the answers to the above questions are "no", you may be jumping the gun in assuming your symptoms are entirely due to pipe smoking at the rate of two bowls per day without deliberately inhaling.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you feel better not smoking, I'd go with that. Giving up the online pipe groups is a second question. If you're still interested in the subject, and don't find it a temptation, I don't see why you can't participate. These discussions relate to an exchange of information. I don't think you have to be a participant at the time in order to join in. At the least, I think you can wean yourself from the pipe groups gradually until you have a good substitute, or stay around as an elder statesman. I'd say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very best of luck to you and best wishes for your health making a big jump in the right direction.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

nicotnman

Login to Send PM

I smoke a pipe, cigar and chew, no more than 24 days out of the year. With at least 2 months without any tobacco use. Guess im a tobacco hobbyist. I think about smoking a pipe daily in anticipation of my next 3 to 4 day session. I have only been doing this for 4 years though. Might be harder to do for someone who has smoked for a long time. The withdraw symptoms get better after 7 days without any tobacco. I have not met anyone else who is able to do this. I just think its mind over matter. Thought I read somewhere Native Americans only used Tobacco a couple times a year for ceremonies. Dont know if thats true or not. Before you give it up completely try a few days twice a year. Its a lot easier than saying never again. If its something you love to do, do it occasionally.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I already feel stronger and my lungs have stopped making crinkly noises. I have no doubt that the coughing, sneezing and raw throat were due to tobacco. Maybe I can return to smoking after a period of abstinence, but I don't want to encourage another round of denial in support of a practice that is undermining my health. I had what recovering alcoholics refer to as a "moment of clarity" about my smoking. In the grip of addiction such moments can be all too few.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best of luck to you salt....

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When your body tells you to stop...STOP! No sense in killing yourself...we would really miss you.

My .02.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny that respiratory symptoms should be a virtual impossibility if you control your cadence correctly and don’t let any smoke down your wind pipe.
    Ironically, my problem is that my mouth is just super sensitive. I’ll probably never be able to smoke regularly, I get almost the same reaction from eating highly cirtus fruits as I do smoking a pipe. The Wasabi I had on some Sushi this week just about had the skin on the roof of my mouth peeling off (I never allow any of it to go to waste).
    Due to being in the middle of an orthodontic procedure it’s been over a year since my last bowl.
    I can’t wait to get back to watching movies with my pipes (should be able to start again this summer)

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can definitely agree that self control is difficult though. When I started out a few years ago I was incredibly eager to just keep trying new things, new pipes, new blends, I desperately wished I could smoke even just one bowl a day. I tried a few times, it never went well.

Pushing three bowls a week is still uncomfortable, it’s almost the same recovery schedule as my current weight lifting routine (four workouts a week and my shoulders and knees start to ache).

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn, Saltedplug, I'm sorry to hear about this. I know you will do the right thing for yourself. Perhaps a pipe a month. As a treat. But you have to make those decisions. Good luck to you.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

Saltedplug I hate to hear that you are having respiratory troubles.
    Maybe after a while you will be able to have the occasional smoke and not fall back into the habit.
    Do whats best for your health.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. deckpiper

deckpiper

Login to Send PM

I can definitely agree that self control is difficult though. When I started out a few years ago I was incredibly eager to just keep trying new things, new pipes, new blends, I desperately wished I could smoke even just one bowl a day. I tried a few times, it never went well.

Pushing three bowls a week is still uncomfortable, it’s almost the same recovery schedule as my current weight lifting routine (four workouts a week and my shoulders and knees start to ache).

So, I just started out. I have smoked twice a week for a few weeks. I have to say, I find myself really looking forward to (and repeatedly thinking about) my next pipe. Schedule was tight this week, or I would have smoked mid-week. Looks like it will be the weekend before I smoke again...plan is tomorrow night. Is this desire because I've found an enjoyable new hobby?...or because I'm experiencing addictive impulses for the first time? Maybe I should keep it to once a week maximum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Salted : sorry to hear about that . I wish you better health and feelings. I hope for the best for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sad to hear this, Saltedplug.

If you need Nicotene, try the patch. They do work. I know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Is this desire because I've found an enjoyable new hobby?"

Probably, but everyone's different.
    Personally, I'm fairly resilient to the effects of substances, sugar, caffeine, and seemingly Nicotine. The first effect I feel in my head when I'm smoking a pipe (or cigar) is dizziness from carbon monoxide poisoning (this is without inhaling, I've heard inhaling is what gets people the "kick" that they have cravings for).

I remember the first time I knew that I actually had some chemical connection to caffeine was the first time I had started drinking 2-4 cups daily at a job, then stopped for a month, then the next time I smelled coffee I felt a strong reaction in my head (Adrenaline? Endorphins?).

Only you can say how easily you get addicted to things.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

Hey, hope you get better soon. Maybe find a new hobby will help if you can't deal with the crave to smoke

Adhie was here
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

robcapp

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear this, SaltedP.
    I've always enjoyed your posts, and look forward to your contributions when you are so inclined.
    I hope your health and situation improve, friend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had my first serious craving last night but didn't smoke. It's amazing how I can have a clear understanding that smoking won't work anymore, but that in the craving the only thing that matters is its satisfaction. Thanks to all for the support!

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Read the book, My Lady Nicotine: A Study in Smoke by J. M. Barrie. It starts off that he has to quit smoking pipes and cigars to get married, and the whole book was written in a daydream of longing for smoke. The author is the writer of Peter Pan, and has a wonderful sense of humor. It may not get your mind totally off of smoking, but it can pass the time through times of longing.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18934?msg=welcome_stranger#h2HCH0030

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cosmic.

Just finished packing up all my pipes and the 75 jars that were visible. Seeing them had become a trigger.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don’t quit!

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hang in there, Salted. I know all too well how the triggers can cause you to relapse. Your health is more important.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear this, Salt.......... your health comes first. Do what you gotta do, hope you will still contribute here, always enjoy your posts!............

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The patch is works great. It’s not a magic pill but will help with those cravings that hit. It helped when I was getting crazy with how much I was smoking and cut WAY back.

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am rather late to this thread, but I'd like to wish Salted the very best. I wish you many years with good health and the fullness of joy. I respect your decision and determination to do what you need to do. Sincerely - Thomas.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

It’s a tough one...I had to take two months off with bronchitis...but I was a 1 bowl per week smoker, so it wasn’t a big deal...Take care of yourself....and be well!

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the support. Only had one serious craving thus far, and quitting has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. Packing up all my pipes and tobacco on Friday was a coup.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think former long-term cigarette smokers such as me(and my late Daddy was) are way more addicted to nicotine in comparison to any kind cigar or pipesmoker, and hence quitting 'cold turkey seems me almost as an impossible task.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Saltedplug: I have been going through the same thing. I quit last summer and stayed off for 2 months, then went back, but only once a day, now reduced to one smoke every few days. For this I have over 100 pipes left and 400 cans of tobacco. But not selling any more tobacco, at least not right now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having smoked a pipe for 40+ years, it would be awfully hard for me to give it up even if necessary. Even when I was off work 2 months recovering from triple bypass surgery nearly 5 years ago, I only refrained from smoking the first month of it, though the surgery messed with my sense of taste for a while making everything including tobacco taste off. I'll be retiring in the near future and worry a bit as to whether I'll be able to afford my vices much afterward. Best wishes to you 2 who quit, (or close to it Foggy).

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quit for 4 weeks today; when I was smoking I never even quit for a day. Lots of cravings, but I answer them all by my health. Truth is that I ignored symptoms for 10 years, watched them get worse, and knew that if I continued they would get worse still. So I'm quit, so far, but what I would give for a bowl of Dark Flake right now!

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, except that you won't so there's your answer: You wouldn't give a damned thing for a bowl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I quit a two pack per day cigarette habit around 13 years ago. That's when I decided it would wise to sell my pipes, pipe tobacco and cigars as well. Dumb. Six months later, I tried one cigar to see if I could smoke it without the cigarette crabbing coming back. It didn't. I haven't had a puff on a cigarette since quitting. For whatever reason, started in on pipes again in November. Beat my head against the wall for previously selling my pipes and pipe tobacco. Was smoking 3 to 5 cigars per day. I've only smoked 3 cigars in 2018.

I feel for you SP but am glad you continue to post. I respect your pragmatic decision and hope you enjoy a long healthy life.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on you one month anniversary of quitting! It's a hard thing to do. I'll bet your breathing has gotten a lot better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

SP, smoking a bowl of Dunhill Dark Flake right now, and it is f-ing amazing! Too bad you've opted out of ecstasy. If you continue your abstinence, you may not live 100 yrs., but it'll seem like it.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  54. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the effect of pipe smoking on breathing and, perhaps even cardiovascular health is probably a very individual thing for certainly I notice little effect on my breathing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunhill Dark Flake is a pale imitation of the one true Dark Flake made by GH (don't ask me how I know except that I smoked innumerable pounds of the real deal; the Dunhill, never).

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Much as I hate to do so, I have to quit the forum to stay quit. The Sugar Plum Fairy of a bowl of Dark Flake has ben dancing in my head too often, and it strikes me as rather thick to think I can wander amidst all the threads recounting the wonderland of pipes and tobaccos without stirring up my yen. AA would say to sever all associations to persons, places and things.

I'll be around, more or less. I don't feel ready for a complete dissociation. I miss pipe smoking and will miss talking to all of you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So sorry to hear this. It seems to me such a pity that one should give up a passionately held hobby without apparently a definitive diagnosis of "tobacco-related disease". But I agree, to stay off the pipe, it may be necessary to avoid pipe fora, at least until the habit is kicked into submission.

Re: GH&Co Dark Flake - this has been my regular after dinner blend for more than 15 years, eclipsing all others. Ignore the stuff about a taint of "Lakeland Essence" - bollocks says I, Lol. I have heard that others find it rather one-dimensional; this I can understand, but within that dimension I find a whole universe of dark, loamy flavours - with sufficient nic-kick to prepare me for bed!

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

SP, very smart move by a very smart man. There's no way for anyone to smoke indoors and not be inhaling that smoke into one's lungs. It's disconnect some have. Everyone's tolerance is different. Congratulations for recognizing and respecting yours.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  59. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed. And best wishes,

John

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, donjgiles