PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I was looking to find a new Lat blend that did something just a little better than

what I have. I read reviews and was sure GLP QN was gonna be a sure thing. Nope.

Is it good? Sure, but doesn't offer me anything new or better, actually, a little

boring, and predictable. It can't do the MacBaren Lat Flake "nutty, creamy salty thing, or

The Margate incensey-smoke like chewy thing either. Just a quick thought - but I was kinda let down.
At least I have gaslight.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have not tried GLP Odyssey. This is my next stop.
Since you like Tashkent, I think you'll appreciate Odyssey. It's not quite as smooth / refined but very good.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Could venture into Syrian latakia which is quite different than Cyprian; my suggestion would be 3 Oaks Syrian.
Westminster, a G. L. Pease blend, offers a lot of subtlety.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
How long have you been smoking? I find quiet nights quite complex with the perique and the oriental.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I like syrian a lot. Ive been smoking some Renaissance lately and its great.

But its 14 years old. I like Vintage syrian and wilderness quite a bit as well. I really appreciate

Cyprian and Syrian in the blend. I have a tin of 3 oaks syrian in the humidor, I am looking forward to it.
I just finished a bowl of Peretti's Royal. I really like it, it has a chewy quality;

thick and flavor-full, the lat is somewhat perfume like. It is possible GLP was going for a more aged approach

to Quiet nights as it is more refined and the lat seems more integrated into the overall flavor, rather than

a somewhat separate component. I will give QN a bit more time. Maybe try different pipe. I was just expecting something different.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Not sure why you tried GLP Quiet Nights looking for a lat forward blend, it isn't supposed to be. Cannot really compare to Gaslight as Gaslight IS a lat forward traditional English.
From the GLP website regarding the blend, and I quote
Quiet Nights - rich, deep, contemplative. Ripe red virginias, fine orientals, smoky Cyprus latakia, and a pinch of Acadian perique are pressed and matured in cakes before being sliced. The sophisticated flavors and exotic aroma provide a wonderful backdrop for quiet moments of reflection, a good book, and if you are so inclined, perhaps a wee dram.
This is the second entry in the Old London Series. This one is fuller and somewhat more Latakia-forward than Chelsea Morning, with a higher percentage orientals, and less perique. It's rich, complex, leathery and smoky, with a naturally sweet structure from the darker virginias, and a balanced oriental spice. It compares in strength and fullness with blends like Samarra and Blackpoint, but the pressing makes it deeper, darker, and brings new dimensions to the flavours and aromas. It's really wonderful. An ideal addition to the series, perfectly complimenting a relaxing evening

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gaslight is probably at the head of its class for Lat heavy quality blends. You can always kick up the Lat in other blends with blending Latakia. Another Latakia forward blend that might (or might not) please you is Cornell & Diehl's Billy Budd. I really like it, but tastes are highly individual.

Mar 1, 2014
Quiet Nights seemed plently heavy in the Latakia when I tried it.
From the reviews I've read it's Westmister and Meridian that are supposed to be more varied and not just your average Lat bomb.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Have you tried any more oriental leaning blends like Blackhouse, White Knight and Magnum Opus?
Also 3 Oaks Syrian which was already mentioned is dynamite.
I would also mention Yenidje Highlander but there isn't a large amount of latakia in it but it's still great.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Ok, so I was wrong, and I can admit it.
When I wrote the first post I had smoked a few bowls of QN, but I smoked them hastily. I'm currently finishing an

addition on our house, and don't have a lot of down time. Most of my pipe smoking is taking place while

sheet-rocking, or working in the garage. So I huffed a bit of QN and wrote in error.
Error #1: It was pointed out here that it is not a Lat forward blend, but more of a med english.

I quess I should have known this but, what the hell, I'm busy so my mistake.
Error #2: The name kind of gives it away, but again I'm not really taking in details lately.

Quiet nights is not a pack and puff smoke. It requires some attention, and some thought.
I packed a large bowl driving home tonight and listened to hockey on the radio. I had about 30 minutes to smoke from a straight apple briar. First I want to say there is a fair amount of Cyprian Lat, and its always present but never dominant. It is more like a foundation for the other elements to play upon. It is refined and restrained.
When smoked slowly and deliberately this blend opens up. The perique will emerge from time to time mingling with the orientals or the Virginias, yielding a interesting and slightly unpredictable shift in flavor.

I had notes of malt or oats almost hinting at turning sweet, but never quite doing so. When backing off

the Virginias came forward and changed the flavor again.
Mid bowl revealed smoking bliss, small sips were the predictable malty flavor of slightly musty-sweet and peppery perique shifting among the oriental, letting it cool brought out the sweeter virgina, and pushing it brought the lat more forward.
Alright, I learned my lesson, no comments until I smoke a full tin from now on.

I will say this is a tobacco to smoke while contemplating its nuances, or you can miss out.

Reactions: LudwigB88
Status
Not open for further replies.