PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
After seeing so many recommendations for this as comparable to the mythical Penzance, I decided to give it a shot, and I am so glad I did! Having recently graduated to English blends and the joys of Latakia, I think this is probably my favorite so far, just slightly edging out the Frog Morton On The Bayou (which I also enjoy thoroughly). The Latakia is nicely complimented by the light Perique as the primary flavors, and the Virginias and Orientals provide a well-rounded taste profile.

The flakes were easy to rub out for packing (this was my first flake) and it smoked down to fine ash from a single light after the char.

Nothing too overpowering throughout, and the only drawback is now I REALLY want to get a hold of some Penzance!

Highly recommended!

-PM

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I find QN to be well named: a great tobacco for a quiet night with a nice glass of 18 yo single malt.....

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Throwing down with Roth, on this one.
Even though I love my Penzance, and covet the 11 oz. I have in my possession, the wonderful English blends the United States produces are an embarrassment of riches.
Pick up a tin of C & D's Montford Park Marines, Dunhill's Nightcap, GL Pease's Navigator, Hearth and Home's Larry's Blend or Ten to Midnight, McClelland's Frog Morton's Cellar or Frog Morton on the Bayou and find your bliss.
Fnord

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
While I like Quiet Nights nothing tastes like fresh Penzance. Quiet Nights is a great blend in it's own right though. G.L Pease has a spectacular range of English and Balkan blends. Odyssey is spectacular and my new favorite.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have a bunch of C&D, McClelland and Pease lat blends and they are all outstanding in their own way. I have been smoking here and there some MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian and that is a very fine smoke. It has a nice sweetness to it that really comes through the smokiness of the lat which is not in your face like other blends.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I agree, I have not encountered a lat blend from C&D, McClelland and Pease that is not great. While some will be prefered due to personal preference none are bad. I also just bought some HH Vintage Syrian and McClelland Wilderness and I really like both flavor wise. My only complaint would they are both low on the nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.