PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I decided to pick up this old Yello-Bole when I saw the KB&B clover leaf and "Honey Cured Briar" stamped on the shank. From what I've read it may have been made in the 1930's. Also stamped on the same side is "Two Way Bit". I have no idea what that means as the bit looks pretty standard to me other than there is no slot at the end of the mouth piece, just a hole.
As you can see from the following pictures, the rim has taken the most abuse on this pipe. I was planning on topping off the damage but decided to wait and see if I could live with it as it is. The side view is much worse looking than from the top. Do you think I should go ahead and top off the bowl?
Anyway, here are some before and after pics. Hopefully you can tell the difference!
yellobole01_zps9657fb74.jpg

yelloboleafter03_zps9751c92c.jpg

yellobole02_zpsd27ff1b8.jpg

Yelloboleafter01_zpsf084e328.jpg

Yelloboleafter02_zps7759f840.jpg

Forgot to mention the shape number stamped on the other side: 9151S

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That rim has taken some abuse. I don't know if I would risk it, but it would look better if the rim was in shape.
I have one of these old KBB Honey Cured pipes as well, a Chesterfield. It's my favorite pipe.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
That rim has taken some abuse. I don't know if I would risk it, but it would look better if the rim was in shape.
I share the same view, I know in my case I'd do a hack job, but someone with experience could make a significant improvment. Problem is that would defeat the purpose cost wise.
Great looking pipe. If she smokes well, you smoke her as a road pipe.
Congrats on the refurb!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I did some research on mine (probably the same sources as @tuold) that placed mine somewhere in the 1930s to early 1950s when the KBB clover logo was used and the pipes were stamped with "Real Honey Cured." The original P-lip stem broke when it snapped at the shank, so I sent it out for repair which cost $20 for a new fishtail stem.
It was totally worth it. Granted the pipe itself cost me about $5 (it was part of a Lot and it is the only remaining pipe from that group), but it is my favorite pipe (nice flame and birds eye grain, and big, solid bowl) plus it is a hell of a smoker.
If I had to give up all my pipes and keep just one, it would be a tough choice between it and my gourd calabash.
@tuold, if that was my pipe I would send it out. Most pipe repairs (at least through my B&M) cost $20 and they professionally clean up the entire pipe while they're at it. The age of that pipe is worthy of some pro work.
img_1892-600x450.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I appreciate all the advice. Fortunately time is on my side. I can enjoy the pipe now while I consider more invasive and irreversible measures. There is no shortage of less worthy subjects to hack on here, and I do want to learn the craft of restoration.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Tu just my opinion but I would leave it alone, like an Old Soldier who has tales to tell, character is in that pipe, you did a fine job, just an old farts opinion.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Top it. An eighth of an inch will make no difference in the aesthetics of the pipe. If you can finely sand and polish the rim and stain it to match, nobody will know the difference from looking at it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Man I can't figure out how to link an old post I made a few months ago, but I too had an old Yello_Bole "Two WAy Bit". It was a mess, but I fixed it up and it turned out to be a good smoker, even if it had a non-original stem and the shank fixed with a piece from a Magic Marker. Good briar makes the difference I figure.

You did a nice job fixing up this one. Love these old pipes!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Orely, I saw your post here: Poor Cobbled Up Yello-Bole
Yep, it sure seems you saved that one from oblivion! There's a good sense of satisfaction knowing you made useful and attractive an old piece of pipe history that otherwise would have been lost.
I've been in touch with the seller of my pipe. He said it came from his uncle's estate and he will be putting more up for auction later this week.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Tuold, I might top that Yello-Bole a little bit, but not too much. I also agree that a lot of these old pipes are worth saving. I don't know why exactly, but I get a real kick out of restoring old low grade pipes! Hey I love high grade pipes, and artisanal pipes, many are real works of art. But I can't afford them, so I amuse myself fixing up an old pipe from time to time. Funny thing, every old pipe I've restored, smokes as good as any high grade pipe I have. (admittedly, I don't have too many of those) The only drawback of some older pipes is the stinger that is part of the pipe design. I'm not a real fan of stingers, but I can tolerate them on some pipes.
Hope you can score some more from your Yello-Bole seller, and have some fun restoring them, and smoking them too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go with brad on this one. This pipe has some rugged miles on it, and it will look quite beautiful

with the wear left on the rim, for my money. As my friend the late Colonel Peyton Greer used to say, a new broom

sweeps cleanest, but an old broom knows where the dirt is. An old pipe knows where the flavor is; let it

shine through the char.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I did just a bit more touchup on the rim. I'm definitely leaving it as is for now.
ybbowl_zpsf7454882.jpg

As for new high grade pipes, well, I don't have anything in that category yet. The "Baer Bowl" pipe I posted about awhile ago is the closest thing in my collection to an artisan pipe and so far it is the best smoking briar I've tried yet. I like my Petersons so much that every time I get some money saved up for a new pipe I end up getting one of those. When funds are tight you go with what ya know, yes? Got a Aran 306 fishtail coming in soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.