PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I recently purchased a Dunhill on eBay that is really nice, the only problem is, for some reason the bowl is full of cracks. It has been reamed back to briar so I know it isn't in the cake. One may even go through the bottom of the bowl and show slightly on the underside of the pipe. None of these cracks were listed on eBay, and I wrote the seller and let them know the problems, and they offered me a 50% discount. I don't want to rip them off, or be ripped off myself (I know these cracks are a threat for burnout), so I told them I would ask on this forum what would be a reasonable settlement. I know that adding a layer of pipe mud to the inside is probably the first step, but I am not experienced nor do I have the expendable funds at the moment to ship this out to a pro. Advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Take the 50%, send it back...or take your chances. What year is the pipe?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It's a 1967 shell. I'd love to keep it, and am willing to try my hand at making it work, but if it's just going to become a charred shelf decoration, I'd better get my money back...I hate making decisions haha

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
That is very unfortunate.

Can you post some pics of the cracks?

I would think that if you aren't happy with the pipe, that they would offer a 100% customer satisfaction refund on your purchase but pipe refunds are at the discretion of the seller.

Personally, I wouldn't pipe mud it. Does the 50% refund include you keeping the pipe and the 50% is their idea of damage control?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Yes, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. They offered to let me keep it and give me 50% back as repair funds. I've never posted pictures on here before, is it possible with a phone?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

^^^ I'm with @billkay on this one.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I got a great deal...$100. So it's a $50 risk, I've never done a proper bowl coating myself, but I'm pretty handy and am willing to give it a try if it seems like it could be successful. That's why I value your guys' advice. Have you guys ever had successful experiences using pipe mudd to keep a cracked bowl safe?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
At this point, some pictures would be helpful. I don't know how to do it from a phone......

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I post from my iPhone. Just upload the photos using the photobucket app and then copy/paste the URL from the app.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/heat-damage-when-to-coat-and-when-to-cake-over

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
image3_zpscriyfanp.png
[/url][/img]

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Whoops and now I realize there is a section for repair and maintenance. Sorry for posting this in the wrong place! Thanks, Georged, for the link. That was informative. I wonder if those pipes survived after the treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.