PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
Just a quick head's up - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (My favorite pipe smoking movie, by the way) is being shown on Turner Classic Movies tomorrow, Thursday, August 2nd, at 6:00 pm EST.
TCM is having it's annual "Summer Under the Stars" and Myrna Loy is the featured star tomorrow. They will be showing her films all day and night.
Here's a link to the schedule:
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2012-08-02
Happy viewing and puffing!
CACooper

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
88+WOLF+WHISTLE+7.jpg
220px-Myrna_loy.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Recorded the movie, and I'm watching it right now. Love it, and definitely a good pipe movie! Pretty much constant pipe smoking throughout.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I've seen Mr. Blandings countless times. My favorite classic film, hands down. There are several things I love about the movie.
- The home building process and all the trials associated with it. I've built a few homes and other projects over the years with the aid of contractors, and NOTHING'S changed in the 64 years since the film was made. There's still the budget over-runs, delays, changes and overall frustration involved with the construction process, but in the end, the results are usually worth it.
- The interplay between the actors. Three of the best in the prime of their careers.
- The time period, the fashion, the hats, the cars, and, of course, the PIPES! What a great era. I was born too late.
Melvyn Douglas smokes his pipe in nearly every scene he's in. He's either smoking, filling (out of Blandings' supply, never his own), lighting, pointing or just holding his pipe. But it's always present. And you can tell he's an experienced pipe smoker by his casual, natural movements with it.
I saw the movie when I was very young, and Douglas' pipe smoking in the film really made an impression on me. It probably sparked my interest early on. He just made it look so natural, comfortable, and cozy. And, as we all know, pipe smoking is all those things and more.
By the way, TCM will be running Mr. Blandings again on Tuesday, September 4th, at 6:00pm EST. The guest programmer is Regis Philbin, and it's one of his favorite movies, too.
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2012-09-04
CACooper

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Agreed on the interplay between the actors, very smooth. Great chemistry!
You just knew Cary Grant was going to get flim-flammed throughout the movie...(My new favourite phrase)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
One of my all time faves. I bought the movie when we were building our home 20 years ago and watched it almost every time we got back from the construction site. Man, I'll never go through building again. We were 75 miles awqay so we only came out on weekends. Our fax machine was smoking by the end of the week dealing with changes and the usual nonsens that comes with the deal.

I remember when the construction manager want to charge us $50 per outlet for garage door openers after we had added $60,000 in upgrades. I completely lost it and went toa store and bought 3 Leviton outlets for less than $1 each and asked him to show me his $50 ones. I won that battle, for what that was worth.

Let's just say that Cary Grant helped me keep my sanity.

I always wondered what blend he had in his desk. I've stopped the film 1,000 times and still could not get it although for some reason I had the impression that they were smoking Dunhill's Baby's Bottom, which I had smoked in the mid 1970's.

Status
Not open for further replies.