PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
This is mostly observation from experiences, both in and out of the tobacco world.
It seems that several blends happen to disagree so heavily with our body's chemistry that the all-too-feared tongue bite seems to range in intensity from mild to bleeding tongue. But it is not because of the quality of the tobacco which would cause these effects, it would be more because of alkalinity versus acidity (which would strike the chemist as quite familiar-- and I'm not a chemist). Chemical burns can occur to anyone regardless of the percentage of the population which seems to be unaffected from he same blend.
My first run-in with pipe tobacco occurred in the navy. The blend I had purchased happened to be my first blend, named Black Diamond, had a very great tin note. I had smoked this blend out of a meerschaum pipe. But after two bowls throughout the day, my tongue bite was so terrific that it caused my tongue to literally dry out, split and bleed.
I know that's quite graphic, but-- well, nothing speaks to me more than details. But this is something that I have forever kept in my mind when trying new tobaccos. Whether this blend had been made by W. O. Larsen or Stanwell, I can't answer that-- I just know to stay far enough away from this blend to ever risk that again.
Many people from tobaccoreviews seem to base their first impressions on the severity of their tongue bite. "Oh, this blend bites so hard! Avoid forever," and, "Made me vomit. Do not smoke. Stick with premium blends," seem to be the primary causal factor behind negative reviews.
But then again, aren't there snobs who dislike OTC blends strictly out of passion for bashing OTCs (and there's a way to say this that escapes me at present) "just because" it is an OTC, so there may not always be tongue bite involved in these reviews.
What do you think?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could be, but more than likely bad prep. The few cases of a scorched tongue that I have dealt with were rectified by modifying either how dry my tobacco was, or packing technique.

Mar 1, 2014
Skulltula, I doubt anyone can actually have a positive first experience with a pipe without an experienced pipesmoker sitting there coaching them through the whole thing.
You should try Black Diamond again, I bet you will love it.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
If I can scrape up the funds I'll give it another go. I probably did try to smoke it like a cigarette, which may have been the greatest part of the negative experience.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I do buy into the PH of tobaccos and tongue bite. Early on when I first started smoking pipes exclusively(less than 2 years ago, Jan 2014) I researched this phenomenon as I was getting thrush often. I suspect it is also tied with my sugar levels and my diabetes. I confess I lost patience in the endeavor and was distracted by the moisture content and cadence which obviously is a more prevalent cause among new pipe smokers.
I really wish a acidity level of a blend was more available. This would be a very stable way to determine if a particular tobacco would be more abt to give a certain user the treaded TB. I suppose it could be easy enough for a person to test blends and make notes in his personal database of the findings. Each batch would have its own characteristics however. The process would be more for the retired Obsessive/Compulsive personality to compile. This is an area that I don't have the desire to enter but would love to see the results of anothers hard work. The results of a PH test would be a great way to help the newbie in reducing TB. One may find certain levels are more abt to give him TB than others. Each persons body chemistry would also be a factor but knowing the blends PH may provide insight. Tongue bite has long been a thing of the past for me only rearing its head on heavy smoking days only and never to the thrush level as long as my sugar levels are proper.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any new pipe smoker should take it easy on puffing too much. Sipping is the way to go. I have had far better luck with non-aromatics for avoiding bite, but at least go with the "less" aromatics like some of the old standard tub tobaccos (Carter Hall, Prince Albert, PC Home and Hearth match blends, etc.). I don't think most of us needed an instructor, per se, but I must admit that watching my dad smoke a pipe pretty much gave me the necessary training. A little advice now and then helps, at a local pipe shop, from a local pipe smoker who isn't too bossy, a pipe show, and of course Forums.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
mso489, that's probably something I lacked-- no one I ever knew in my whole family, or even friends of my grandparents (to my knowledge) smoked a pipe. I was pretty much on my own for learning techniques. Actual practice has improved my techniques quite a bit.
Although, there isn't a pipe shop or tobacconist for 45 miles from my town...

Status
Not open for further replies.