PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
You can make it in minutes from a doubled strip of cereal box and a piece of masking tape. You can make a nicer one from a piece of leather belt and a decorative rivet from the craft store.

fAZN7Ye.jpg

Rule #9- please capitalize topic headings...thanks, Zack

Jan 8, 2013
I just made one out of an old belt without even a snap or rivet to hold the two ends together. I just a slit on end almost all the way through and then a small slit on the other just to make the two end pieces fit flush on the table instead of an angle. Took maybe two minutes with just a pocket knife.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You Brits sure have some odd units of measurement.
"I saw him, officer. He went about twelve stones' weight and about 4 pipe rests around..."
:nana:
jay-roger.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
12 stones, 4 pipe rests around, quick and dirty...I dated a girl like that once...wait, sorry..wrong forum :roll:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent simplicity of design and also a promo for sitter pipes, no stand needed. Appreciate both.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You Brits sure have some odd units of measurement.
"I saw him, officer. He went about twelve stones' weight and about 4 pipe rests around..."

Jay, I'm more like a tad over 7 stone (used to be 10 - 11 /12 stone) and am slowly withering away so to get four stands from my belt was pretty generous methinks.
Out of curiosity, is your name actually 'Jay' or is it a nickname as mine is. I ask merely because the name 'Jay' has negative connotations both sides of the pond. I am actually a 'Julian' but always hated that name though to be honest over the years I have been willing to accept either.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Jay is negative? I guess I live a sheltered life. I also hate the current fad of twisting words to other meanings. Another word for happy comes to mind. Sad situation...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay is negative? I guess I live a sheltered life."
Ken, a 'jay' is a member of the crow family, it is also defined as "a foolish or gullible person".
Many words in the English Language have multiple meanings.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
OK, I understand that connotation. I thought maybe some perversion had come along. I like crows and jays, interesting critters. Of course, I am rather odd myself. :twisted:

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
But the Corvids are also some of the most intelligent of birds. And gullible they are not. I think Jay is a distinguished name. Eff everyone who might use it as a pejorative.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
OK, I understand that connotation. I thought maybe some perversion had come along. I like crows and jays, interesting critters. Of course, I am rather odd myself. :twisted:
Don't worry, Jay. My name is Randy, and that means something else across the pond as well. :wink:

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Yes. An Owl Shop (New Haven CT). Straight bellard student size. Perfect for a quick smoke

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Eff everyone who might use it as a pejorative"
Indeed!
But regards being a corvid, Wikipedia gives us this....
"Its placement remains unresolved; it does not seem to be a corvid at all. According to Ericson et al. (2005), jays are not a monophyletic group. Rather, they can be divided into an American and an Old World lineage (the latter including the ground jays and the piapiac), while the gray jays of the genus Perisoreus form a group of their own. The black magpie, formerly believed to be related to jays, is classified as a treepie."
Regards,
Jay.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
But: "Corvidae is a cosmopolitan family of oscine passerine birds that contains the crows, ravens, rooks, jackdaws, jays, magpies, treepies, choughs, and nutcracker." This definition needs to be updated to break our the treepies, among others. But these classifications do depend on who is ruling the ornithological unions, the lumpers or splitters.
I have conducted radio-telemetry studies on populations of Bluejays, Scrub Jays, and Mexican Jays...all classified as Corvids to this day.
Magpies are a bear of a different color.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nice to hear you mention the chough. The Cornish chough is displayed (naturally) on the Cornish coat of arms.
As for treepies...I had to look that one up myself :oops:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.