PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I wanted two questions that's been bothering me on my pipe smoking journey.
The first question is about softy bits. What are your guys' cleaning habits regarding those softy bits? Do you just plop them on when smoking a new pipe and leave it on the pipe until it's time for a thorough cleaning? Or do you clean before you put them on a new pipe and them after every smoke?
The second question is about a sour taste. I noticed that sometimes I get this sour taste during a smoke. Today, it appeared when I was towards the end of a bowl, smoking some CBW in a MM cob. The last time I noticed it was the first time I smoked a bowl of DE 7th Avenue Blonde. Could that be a problem with aromatics or is there something else going on?
Thank you, ahead of time, for any answers and helped received!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I can't help you with the softy bits mate as I don't use em. The sour taste could be a number of things. Do you have a paper filter in the Cob? If so, it needs to be changed every smoke or 2. Stem could be dirty, or shank dirty or cruddy. Pipe could be over smoked and wet. These 3 factors could contribute to your problem. There are more possibilities but these are your main ones.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The softy bits I put on the pipe once it goes into my rotation. I say this because a pipe either new or estate gets cleaned before I smoke it. Just some more cleaning then others. I don't usually take it off unless I am going to clean the pipe thoroughly or it needs to be replaced. I often bite through them. One of the draw backs of the softy bits though, if you clench, it will make you drool more.
The things that nfisher listed could all lead to a sour taste and can all be solved with better care for your pipe. The one thing that you can do during your smoke however, is to run a pipe cleaner through your stem. This will absorb any moisture that has built up in the stem / shank. If this moisture gets into your mouth during your smoke it can taste awful. This may be hard to do with an MM if you are using the filter.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Thank you nsfisher and eaglerico.
Softy Bits: eaglerico, right on. I've been following the same suit as you then. And I have found out I drool a lot more when I clench with the softy bits on. LOL.
Sour Taste: nsfisher, I don't have a filter in my cob or any of my pipes and after every smoke, they get pipe cleaners run through them thoroughly. Though, I have noticed that when I do get the sour taste, there's usually some bits of ash in the stem, wonder if that could be it?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The one downside of removing the filters from cobs that I've noticed is that the wide-open draw behind the draft hole allows more ash to fly up the stem, especially toward the end of the bowl. It's possible this is related to your sour taste issue, though I've personally found it to be more of an ashy taste when the bits make it all the way out... :D

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Phred, thank you for your reply.
Haha, yeah I'm beginning to think I should have kept that Medico filter that came with it. I was just about to ask another question regarding the tenon/air passage on a MM cob. I've noticed it's a rather big hole and since the tobacco lays right on top of it, I've noticed ash swimming right through as opposed to my other pipes that have such smaller air passages.
Anyways, I had originally thought that could lead to the sour taste, but I normally just get an ashy taste from the ash. LOL.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I had originally thought that could lead to the sour taste, but I normally just get an ashy taste from the ash.
You obviously know the difference between sour taste, and ashy taste. I don't think the ash will give you a sour taste. Sometimes a new cob will burn the stem in the bowl, and that will off flavor the end of a smoke, but it doesn't sound like you're smoking a new cob.
Try dipping a pipe cleaner in some alcohol, and cleaning the stem real well with it. Especially at the bowl entrance, where it gets gummy. Follow with a new cleaner, and dry out the pipe. Rest it for a day or more, then give it another go and see if it tastes better.
I tried the soft bits, but I didn't like using them. Seemed like I put a dirty bit in my mouth, unless I removed the softy and cleaned it after each smoke. I've gotten used to just a plain bit.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks werdna. I probably give that a go later today, when I get home from work. I've seen a lot of posts as to which alcohol and since everclear isnt' readily available, is there any other kind of alcohol I should keep an eye for when I hit the stores later?
Shoot, sounds like I'll smoke my new pipe while cleaning an old one session!

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
You can use isopropyl alcohol, you know the rubbing alcohol you can buy in any drug store. Get at least 90% alcohol. It won't leave any taste in the bowl, as long as you only swab it with a pipe cleaner.
If you ever need to soak a bowl in alcohol, use everclear, or vodka, fill the bowl with salt, then pour the vodka into it. Let sit for a few hours. But that's probably not what you need to do at this point.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Thank you again for your helpfulness werdna!
So I smoked that pipe again tonight. Sour again. After the bowl, I waited till it cooled and took it apart. That's where I noticed where the sourness was coming from. The inside of the shank/mortise was damp and smelled exactly like what I was tasting.
Luckily, I have some isopropyl alcohol at home, so I won't need to make that stop to the store. As soon as this posts, I'm rushing to the bathroom and giving that shank an alcohol cleaning.
Will report back in a couple days to follow up.

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
I smoke a lot of MM Cobs...I have almost the entire collection. The ones that use a filter will give you some ash taste if you smoke them with the filters removed. I usually by a large quantity of the filters to have on hand.. but I do have several cobs... my Country Gentleman comes to mind that I love without a filter. If you do a web search for Walker Briar Works... he makes custom bits specifically for all the MM cob pipes... and his bits do NOT require a filter.. and the draft hole is designed for a perfect draw as he states on the website. I plan on ordering a few of these for my cobs next month as a birthday present to myself... so I will report back on how they work... they look great.

Normally I do a bit of extra cleaning on my cob after it cools and run a pipe cleaner dipped in 100 proof vodka all the way from tip to bowl.... then I use a nice fluffy clean one to dry it out and let it rest for a day... I do this once a week and have had no problems with the sour taste. Oh.. do remember to remove the filter from the stem after the pipe cools before you do the cleaning.

Hope this helps

Mike

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Highlander: Haven't smoked it yet. I wanted it to give it a day to dry out before I smoked it again. Gonna smoke it tonight and see what happens.
gothicmace: Thanks for the tip about Walker Briar Works. I'll definitely look into them as my cob collection is sure to grow!

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
I am putting the link here for the walker site.. I apologize in advance if I am not allowed to do this... I do not work for them or anything like that.. just trying to help a fellow friend of the bowl have a good smoke.

Mike :)
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/index.html

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Alrighty. Sorry for bumping my thread again, but UPDATE!
So I went upon werdna's suggestion of taking some alcohol to the pipe. I had some isopropyl alcohol and swabbed the inside of the shank where the I smelled that sour taste. I used a cuople of swabs, both sides, until the swabs came out white instead of brown. I waited a couple days for it to dry (stem still separated).
I just smoked it tonight and no sour taste! Really happy with that and thank you again, werdna! I'm waiting for the pipe to cool a bit so I can check inside the shank for anything that needs to be cleaned.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Aquilas - Welcome aboard.

I clean well after each smoke but with dry pipe cleaners.

The only filters i use are the balsa Sav's and I change them after 2-3 bowls.

My soft bits don't get changed until they fail or on annual deep cleans.

Cheers :D

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I clean well after each smoke but with dry pipe cleaners.
martiniman is correct. I clean my pipes after two smokes, usually at the end of the day. That way they stay drier, and sweeter. I do the alcohol routine once a month, or when the stem gets heavily gummed up. Everyone has their own routine, and you'll develop your own method. Enjoy!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally would never and have never used a softy bit on a pipe I have ever owned. I think the rubber takes on a nasty taste from the nicotine mixing with the rubber and since I have never tried one, this is pure conjecture on my part as I have never used a softy but it makes sense too me. I could be totally wrong in my assumption, but I don't think so. I think I am 100 percent correct and would be willing to bet my life on it. How is that for confidence, of course I do not expect anyone to take me up on my challenge because who wants to be known as a murderer over a pipe? LOL

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I swear by softy bits. I always kep my pipe in my mouth, and the rubber bit provides grip. My dentist says they save my teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.