PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Distinguished pipe smokers of the internet tubes,
One shape I have not yet collected is a classic gourd calabash. In looking around, it seems there are some out there but they are pretty pricey, or else "unmarked". I realize many people seek these out for the novelty, the look, or the history associated with them. I buy pipes to smoke them. So my question is, is there anything particularly special about the gourd calabash? Do they smoke well, or are they just like any other meer? Or is it just sought out by collectors because it's funky as hell and/or incorrectly associated with a certain sleuth?
Any experiences/opinions shared would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Frank

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I personally didn't enjoy it. I've smoked a few and had a midsized one and they all smoked very cooly. Too cool for me. I found it really muted the flavor. They have a nostalgic quality which is great for them mantel but for me, I'll stick to briar.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The chambers are too tiny for my liking. All of that pipe and very little room for tobacco.
it really muted the flavor
They do until the gourd is saturated with oils from the smoke.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have come across a few gourd calabash pipes in the past years, and I find your observation to be true - either quite pricey, or no name pipes of questionable quality. I may buy one only if I come across a bargain, and I would do it for the novelty. I doubt I would smoke such a shape on a regular basis - I just find it to be a shape that makes one look ridiculous, or at least I would say that I would laugh at myself in the mirror with that shape clenched in my mouth.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had a large Pioneer gourd calabash -- an armchair-only pipe. I found the bowl chamber disappointingly shallow for a pipe you need to settle in with; and it wasn't particularly easy to pack a folded flake. I considered it a novelty pipe: good for channeling one's inner Sherlock Holmes, but not as satisfying other pipe designs. :puffy:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Calabash pipes smoke very cool&dry my experience with my Stranbach Vienna was that it required stronger tobacco,I'd guess blends containing latakia & orient leaf might suit best for these pipes,eventually I sold mine.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I have a few gourd calabash pipes (old Kiko manufacture). I think they excel at English/Balkan types of tobaccos. The chamber cools off and dries out the smoke. You need to rest the pipe between smokes (i.e. let it dry out) so as not to saturate the gourd with moisture, which can cause the gourd to deteriorate (i.e. rot). Personal lesson learned.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had a Pioneer years ago that fell out of use. Chamber not big enough and just not a practical pipe. Eventually trashed mine but they are a nice novelty pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I doubt I would smoke such a shape on a regular basis - I just find it to be a shape that makes one look ridiculous, or at least I would say that I would laugh at myself in the mirror with that shape clenched in my mouth.
Agree, though I will be on the lookout for one at the right price. I have a few carved meers that I won't smoke in public for the same reasons. Some can pull it off, I reckon.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Try getting a briar bowl made for a small-ish gourd calabash (those huge upright ones are reading chair only) and you'll never see the design the same way again.
I went from lukewarm on them --- nice to look at, but rarely smoked --- to the first thing I reach for when I want either a short smoke to start with, or feel like "just a little more" when my main bowl runs out.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/andreas-bauer-gourd-calabash-wbriar-bowl

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Interesting. I've seen some all briar ones, but had no idea this even existed.
It sort of doesn't... :lol:
No company I know of ever offered a briar option.
Anyone who makes pipes can spin you a bowl for one, though. The shape is straightforward, a small block is all that's needed, etc.
It wouldn't even be necessary to send them the "pipe half", just the meer cup/bowl. All the dimensions they'd need could be taken from it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have 5 calabashes of which 1 is a wooden body with a block meerschaum bowl, I would advise against getting one of these as they are heavy and don't have the benefit of the gourd body to absorb moisture.

The Strambachs are very large and have massé meerschaum bowls that are HUGE and can fit 3 whole rubbed out Gawith FVF flakes in them.

As others have said large calabashes do mute the flavours because of the cavernous gourd so strong tobaccos do best in these like Revor plug or the Gawith ropes. I'd say if you are going to get one (of whatever size) definitely go with a gourd body and a block meerschaum bowl.

Below are some pictures.
Chris
Wooden Calabash

20180917_212510-600x337.jpg

Silver ferrule Strambach (9mm)

20180917_2120042-600x337.jpg

Strambach (9mm)

20180917_211812-600x337.jpg

Northern Briars

20180917_211944-600x337.jpg

Baki silver Edwardian style spigot twin tip

20190307_021747-600x450.jpg