Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Mate Said: What make a Balkan a Balkan, how is it different from other English Blends.
From the information that I have gathered, there are a lot of differing opinions on what makes a Balkan a Balkan.

The one answer that I have seen most given is; a Balkan has more Oriental with a little bit of Latakia and an English has more Latakia with a little bit, if any, Oriental.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Thanks for prompt answer, but now I am more confused
Example Balkan Flake by Samuel Gawith
See link http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=2070
Contents: Virginia Latakia
But when I look at other "Balkan Blends" here http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_index.cfm?ALPHA=B
They all seem to contain Latakia and Oriental

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
man what the hell if I like it I like it, who cares
To quote William Shakespeare said "Latakia by any other name would still smell like Latakia"
As you see literature was not my strong subject

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
New question
I am smoking a lot of PaylessPipes Dunhill copies. 956 and Early Morning Pipe
They say the main difference between the two is that the 956 has extra latakia
I find this 956 Copy delicious, and it has a taste like what we call Salt Prunes here. A chinese prune that is dried has a lot of food colouring (orange like), and has a Salty Sweet taste.
What is giving the 956 this salty sweet taste?
I have also tried adding some McLelland Blending Latakia and Oriental to this 956, no special measurements, just a large dollop.
And its NICE, have I become a Latakia Addict

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
This Bill Baileys BalkanBlend, looks very inviting, I must order some, and SmokingPipes.com have it at $6.96

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=401
Brand: Dan Tobacco

Tin Description: This full strength blend consists of the best Virginia grades with various Oriental tobaccos, 10% dark fired Kentucky leaf and over 40% Latakia with a pinch of Perique.

Curing Group: Air Cured

Contents:

Kentucky

Virginia

Perique

Oriental

Cut: Ribbon

Packaging: 50g Tin

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
VOLK,
I used to have some sort of allergy to Latakia, whenever I smoked it I got horrible hiccups.
I was giving away some tins of Dunhill a few weeks ago, and sampled Early Morning Pipe. And to my delight my allergy has vanished.
Having had to suffer through years of MacSugar, wet bowls, tongue bite and I am now getting rid of all my MacBaren/Captain Blacks
Don't want to ever see the stuff again. Exception might be MacBarens Navy Flake maybe 1 Tin before I die.
I even tried MacBarens HH Vintage Syrian, which I find about as inspiring as watching a Golf Tournament or watching Grass Grow
I think I am going to change my handle to Latakia Junkie, but please , please don't recommend any MacSugars for me
Thanks for the help John / Mate

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for the info Volk!

That is exactly why I don't get caught up in tobacco classifications, lol.

I will smoke any blend and if I like it I will continue to smoke it, if I don't I won't.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I received some tins of

Samuel Gawith: Black XX Rope 50g and

Samuel Gawith: Brown Rope No. 4
http://www.recollect.com/tobacco/by-maker/samuel-gawith/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=5316
From what I see on the net, they bear a striking resemblance to Canine Turds (Scientific / Latin Name for Doggie Doo)
I am anxious to try them, any of you guys have any opinion on these
I am hoping its a case of don't judge a book by its cover, and the taste better, than the smell you would expect

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Re

Samuel Gawith: Black XX Rope 50g and

Samuel Gawith: Brown Rope No. 4
I understand that this company uses high quality ingredients, so I am hoping that they were process through Thoroughbreds, I don't want to smoke anything that came out of some Mutt Pot Hound

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Re That is exactly why I don't get caught up in tobacco classifications, lol.

I will smoke any blend and if I like it I will continue to smoke it, if I don't I won't.
I apply this same principal to Blonds, Red Heads and Brunettes

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
re I apply this same principal to Blonds, Red Heads and Brunettes

Ha ha ha! I love it!
Of course a very skillful blender can mix all three.
At that point who cares what is is called Aromatic, Virginia, English Balkan, Cavendish or whatever
I see this only going downhill from here so let me go back to my favorite page on this site, and continue to fall in love with Tanya

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Now enjoying a bowl of

⅓ McLellands Blending Latakia (Brunette)

⅓ McLellands Blending Oriental (Blonde)

⅓ S&G Squadron Leader (Red Head)

Yum Yum delicious and so cool

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Dear Volk
re "Please, don't take offense. I mean you no harm, my tender-toungued friend. Allow yourself to experience the whole cornucopia of pipe tobacco out there."
I might have a tender tongue, but I have a thick skin.
And not for one instance did I take offense.
I come here to meet:

1) Brothers of the Briar, like yourself, Kevin, Python, all of who are tons more knowledgeable than me and who I hope to learn from.

2) Like minded people who can share camaraderie and good natured banter. Well I hope you all are not too like minded to me as then you will be considered having a mind in the gutter
Mate

Status
Not open for further replies.