PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
So I just ordered a pre drilled carve your own block of pearwood root from Mr. Brogs

The game plan is to sit on the back porch with a nice pipe enjoy the autumn air here up here in the mountains and whittle away until I have a shape I like. I'm good up to that point. I know it may take a little longer with a pocket knife than with the fancy tools but that's fine too
My questions are:

1: do I have to put some sort of finish on the outside of the pipe when it's done?

2: besides asthetics what are the advantages to a finish

3: recommendations for good finishes(please feel free to include images reasons etc...)

4: any other tips and tricks I should be aware of?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
You can use mineral oil, tung oil, and even olive oil to stain it to get a natural look. I heard that olive oil can get rancid but I have used on a pipe myself and it didn't. I did wipe the excess off after it sat for 30 minutes though.

Here is a pic of what it looked like when stained with olive oil so you can get an idea.

Before

IMG_9364.jpg

After

IMG_9365.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would have used mineral oil if I had it. It should yield the same results. No rancid pipes in my collection though. I have heard that those natural oils are actually good for wood. Does anyone know if that is true?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I agree with you about mineral oil is better. Just curious if that was true or not. I always heard Tung Oil was acceptable to but I guess that depends on if you believe briar breaths. Either way I would try not to get anything on the inside of the bowl.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I researched this some years ago, and the impression I'm left with is that mineral oil is less desirable than

extra virgin olive oil because it is a petroleum distillate and contains elements not normally found in wood.

Extra virgin olive oil is loaded with natural anti-oxidants, deterring rancidity. If you want additional protection

add the oil from a vitamin-E gel cap; it's the anti-oxidant, α-tocophenyl (only ~1½% is required.)

Instrument restoration experts use it to (re-)condition the Grenadilla wood from which clarinets are made. :puffy:

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
You don't have to use a finish, the pipe will color as you smoke and handle it. More from the handling I think than the actual smoking of it.
Many people like a natural pipe with no finish. Not knowing how the wood you have will look, show a picture after you've got your pipe made and ask the question again.

Status
Not open for further replies.