PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
So, after a month since ordering, my MacBaren and Samuel Gawith's navy flakes finally made it here.
I noticed that the SG is quite moisty right off the bat. The MacBaren feels drier. So, my first question is whether you keep the tobacco in the tin or transfer it to a mason jar. Does it age better in the tin? Will it dry to crumbly parchment-like consistency in the tin?
The SG is 50g and the MacBaren is 100g. The latter is more neatly packed than the former, which is kinda broken.

It really is just a preference, but if you are not going to get serious and smoke those tins, then yes, put them in a jar. But, once they get dry, they are not ruined. IMO, they are not even ready to smoke until they are dried out to parchment, or bone dry. Especially the SG. It will be hard to light their flakes till you get some of that moisture off of it.

A 50g tin would last me one day, maybe two days.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Sounds as if you’ve opened both tins. I would take a piece of tin foil or wax paper and set it between the lid and tin. It does a nice job of keeping tins fresh. No matter what, whenever you open the tin, the tobacco dries a bit more.

Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whether jarred or tinned, I like to rub out then dry out the tobacco in a crockery bowl for a day or three, smoking it right along.
Cosmic, hope you are coming along. Plenty of liquids and rest. Take it easy.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A 50g tin would last me one day, maybe two days.

8O . 8O
Not a heavy pipe smoker here. Hell, after a week of letting my tongue heal from the burning, I just managed to burn it again with half a bowl of ribbon cut in my churchwarden (aren't churchwardens s'posed to cool the smoke?). Don't see myself finishing a tin in two days or even a week any time soon.
Thanks for providing the roughly amount per bowl, though. It should certainly help in gauging the duration of the tobacco I buy.
OK, I guess I'll dry out the SG a wee bit and transfer to a glass jar. I might leave the MacBaren in the tin for the time being.
As I said, the SG came in a tightly packed bunch with some detached flakes. The MacBaren came in neatly cut flakes like the one below, and, whoa, they weigh ~5 g each, so I guess choosing the right amount for packing won't be such a chore.
MB_Navy_Flake_flake.jpg

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Sounds as if you’ve opened both tins. I would take a piece of tin foil or wax paper and set it between the lid and tin. It does a nice job of keeping tins fresh. No matter what, whenever you open the tin, the tobacco dries a bit more.

Mike S.]
I use this same method to keep tins fresh with the difference I put a double layer of aluminum foil to avoid tears in the foil and I seal the foil with electric tape. Doing so I have tins that after 18 months are still as fresh as when initially opened.

I feel keeping the tobacco as wet as when it is opened improve the aging process. However, I prefer to dry it when I smoke it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Once I pop a tin I put all my tobacco's in a mason jar. Mason jars are ideal for long term storage. Flake tobacco's will stay moist longer, so you can leave them in the tin for a short period of time without them drying out to much. If you're going to smoke through the tin in a relatively short time frame then I would just leave them in the tin.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, I guess I'll dry out the SG a wee bit and transfer to a glass jar. I might leave the MacBaren in the tin for the time being.
I'd take heed of what Michael said above. Way more than a "wee bit".

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sounds like you've picked some really nice tobacco and that you're just starting out.

Already with the tongue burn.

Welcome to the fraternity (although, we do encourage our sisters).

Read up on what you're trying to do, watch some videos on technique, and stop when your tongue says to.

You may have to get over one or two hurdles before you acquire the necessary expertise, and THAT's why, 3 weeks ago when you were asking about OTC's, you were encouraged to try any of them, (except for maybe Mixture 79 by one unnamed poster) because they are proven to be easy to smoke and very enjoyable.

I'd recommend cube cutting your flakes with scissors, and roughing them up a little bit after a half hr or so in a dish before packing gently into your bowl. Sip. Enjoy! Re-light as needed, no worries.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Definitely recommend transferring the tin contents to a small canning jar. First I would lay the flakes out to dry for at least a few hours, maybe a half a day if very moist. Then jar them up, wait for a few weeks, then enjoy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
50g is just 10-12 bowls.
I suppose that is true, and easy to go through. I need to measure consumption at some point. Hope you have a quick recovery from that walking pneumonia. Nasty stuff.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"A 50g tin would last me one day, maybe two days."
All I can say Michael is BLIMEY 8O
To the OP. If you're planning on smoking your blends in the near future I would recommend rubbing out the flakes, airing the rubbed out tobacco to your preferred moisture level then simply return it to the tin to dip into as and when required.
I have jars filled with 250g bulk flakes already rubbed out but not aired. When my 50g tin gets towards empty I will decant from said jar enough to fill the 50g tin then air it on a tray afore putting it into my day to day tin.
Hope this makes sense.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay it would make perfect sense if it wasn't for your bloody accent"
Blast yer eyes Stan. First and foremost I'm a Yorkshireman though living in Cornwall since '88 has somewhat mellowed any Yorkshire accent I might have once had.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.