PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
As I said in previous posts I was absent from pipe smoking more than 10 years and I am about to (re)discover a few things after having restarted some days ago. Back in the day I was smoking Dunhill light flake among other and I remember that it had been discountinued, which was a shame. If I'm correct the "regular" flake seems still to exist. Is it comparable to the light version? I remember the light flake being a nice blend of virginias with a fruity plum aroma. I don't remember it being particularly light, more in the medium range.

Thanks for any input.
Edit: Some search on the net revealed that the flake had been reintroduced but the "light" had to be removed due to tobacco legislation. But the question remains if the actual version is comparable to the vintage one...

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo tho
You are a lucky puffer. The word "Light" was exorcised by the Politically Correct Police in Europe, since it would mislead gullible and young kids into a lifetime of depravity. I have tins of various old Light Flakes as well as several rounds of the current Flake. Fortunately, I've found the two sets of variations as almost the same, even taking age into account. Compared to Full VA Flake and many McClellands, this product doesn't change character that much with the years.
You also missed some angst: About 7 or 8 years ago, Dunhill distribution in the US was disrupted and their blends had to be arduously imported from across the pond if you just had to have them. Now things are hunky dory, so you never had to suffer through the hiatus.
I too consider DH (Light) Flake tending towards medium.
hp

les
PS - whoops - thomas - I just looked up your profile as see as a Swiss you never had to put up with the hassle we here in the US had with Dunhill supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.