Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
On a future radio show we will be interviewing Leonard Wortzel, the Brand Manager for Lane STG.
Please feel free to post some questions or information you would like to know about Lane or their products.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy LL-7 and wanted a little history on the blend, who at Lanes originated it, and if it has been in

continuous production, and since when? Does LL-7 signify anything in particular? I rotate it mostly

with much stronger blends, but find it pleasantly flavorful and a great recommendation for new pipe

smokers.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Lane made my favorite blend of all time- Highland. I've asked Leonard about it so I won't go there. But I would like to know if Lane is considering asking their fans and customers to vote on bringing back old blends like they did with Crown achievement. I guess this would dovetail with sparks' question.

Thanks for including us, Kevin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm an admirer of Lanes Burley Without Bite, both smoked as-is, and for mixing with other tobaccos. Is it one burley leaf or

a blend in itself, with various burleys?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Kevin:
Thank-you for having Mr. Wortzel on, and for soliciting our comments and questions. Echoing what Sparks wrote above, I would like to know if Lane STG has any plans for the entire House of Edgeworth portfolio. At one time it included Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed, Edgeworth Aromatic, Edgeworth Cavendish (Mild Aromatic), Edgeworth Cavendish (Rich Aromatic), Edgeworth Cavendish (Natural), Holiday Pipe Mixture, John Rolfe Pipe Mixture, and, of course, Edgeworth Sliced Extra High Grade Pipe Tobacco.

May 31, 2012
I'm also very curious about the Edgeworth question.
And I'm keenly interested if any possibility at all exists that Lane Ltd. could import the UK-market STG brands like St. Bruno or the whole Imperial/STG portfolio.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Mr Lowercase: Condor as well would brilliant as I am starting to feel like a drug baron importing all this stuff! The only question I have is when will they stop making Lane 1 Q and will they burn the receipt? :rofl:

May 31, 2012
Simon,

Condor is owned by JTI http://www.jti.com/ and it is still made in Ireland (as far as I know) at the last remaining big tobacco factory in the UK...
...all the other stuff like St. Bruno, McQuaid et al are made in Denmark by STG and since Lane is now part of the STG family, it gives me hope of importation possibilities.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That is an interesting fact and it would be welcome as I think we are all getting frustrated with the domestic fare here in the US and the hoops we go through to get the brands we love!

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I'm also very curious about the Edgeworth question.
And I'm keenly interested if any possibility at all exists that Lane Ltd. could import the UK-market STG brands like St. Bruno or the whole Imperial/STG portfolio.
DITTO. I'm on the same bandwagon as misterlowercase.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This may be a sort of Master of Business Administration and/or marketing question, but I am intrigued by the

wide use of Lanes tobaccos by other retailers as re-named house blends. Obviously, this is an excellent way

to increase the volume of sales. Forums members have published long lists of aliases of various blends sold

by other retailers giving the Lanes blend names and then the alternate aliases under which they are sold.

Is this a competition with the Lanes brand itself or pure win-win? (I do not have an MBA, I'm just curious.)

May 31, 2012
St. Bruno may just be impossible due to it being made under license for Imperial, and I understand what a tremendous hassle it would be to get approved for US importation...
...but STG owns outright the following trademarks:

Murray's Warrior, Yachtsman, and Erinmore Plugs, as well as Spillanes Garryowen Plug, Ruddell's Velvan Plug and Maltan Flake, plus Carroll's Golden Bar and even Mick McQuaid.
Garryowen and Golden Bar ain't made no more,

but STG does a most excellent fine job at making the other plugs listed and I do think they'd find a good market here - I alone would buy vast quantities! :D ...and I'm sure many other people would too!
FNqBhYS.jpg

etl2SQW.jpg

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I'm keenly interested if any possibility at all exists that Lane Ltd. could import the UK-market STG brands like St. Bruno or the whole Imperial/STG portfolio
+1!

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
On a twist of another question, where do they come up with these weird names for the blends? I am a chronic MV-1000 smoker and would love to know the origin of the name (and many others).

Status
Not open for further replies.