PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I have my first morta pipe coming in the mail, and have a few questions to those of you with morta pipes:
1) Does morta have to be smoked slow during the break in period?

2) Can you smoke back-2-back bowls in a morta with no rest in-between?

3) Is it possible to burnout a morta pipe?

4) Can I use honey to break-in a morta like I do with briar?
Any answers will help! Thank you much!

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
imagejpg1_zps64179db2.jpg
[/url][/img]

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Hey Web...ok here is the low down on Morta...
1. Morta should always be smoked slow...depending on the thickness of the wall, a Morta pipe has the potential to become very hot, similar to Meerschaum

2. Yes, you can smoke back to back bowls with no rest..just swab the inside of the bowl with a fluffy pipe cleaner....you do NOT want a cake to build up in a Morta pipe

3. Yes it is possible to burnout a Morta pipe...remember Morta is Semi-petrified wood...the could be hidden soft spots or imbedded fungus in the wall that could burn out...I have around 25 Morta pipes, and even some of the best constructed Morta bowl can have hidden flaws

4. There is no break in required for a Morta pipe...definitely do not put honey in it...,it is semi-petrified wood....you don't need to treat the bowl...
Please feel free to contact me with any questions...there are also some great FAQs about Morta at www.blockandbriar.com

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Thank you very much, Cajun! That helps a lot! The pipe is a Moretti. Never had a morta before, but looking forward to trying one out. I will try and upload a few more pictures for anyone who is interested.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my experience all the fuss about bowl coatings, honey, etc., etc., are overblown. Pipes cake differently, and different materials do so as well, cob, briar, morta, but I've stopped worrying about the issue. If the pipe cakes or needs to cake, it will regardless of what I do. If it cakes more than the thickness of a dime, and usually before, I remove it. I've only had one pipe burnout, and suspect that it was an undetectable weakness in the briar that caused this.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Insightful. Thanks for the post. I guess I've just always used honey on the first bowl because it seems to give the bowl a nice jump start on cake formation, and keeps the wood from hot-spot charring.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was going to suggest you check in with NolaCajun, he imports Davorin Denovic morta (and briar) pipes. There is some interesting facts about morta on his webpage:

http://www.blockandbriar.com/morta/

fulofunk

Lurker
Dec 31, 2016
I just received my first morta pipe. Mr. Brog No. 114 Morta Habit, $69.99. Smoking it now and it is very pleasant. Christened it with Esoterica Margate.. This is my 5th Mr. Brog and I have to say I have loved the experience with every one, especially knowing I paid less than $200 combined for all 5!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a simple but handsome design pipe, and I especially like the pattern on the morta. Good luck with it. You got some good informed advice here.

msjones99x

Lurker
Nov 15, 2017
I'm waiting on my morta pipe to arrive in the mail & was wondering about all of this. Thanks for the helpful posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.