PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lets just assume for a minute that the FDA succeeds in banning online sales of tobacco. So while we couldn't just fill our carts online and pay for them online, would phone orders still be permissible?
I'm thinking something along the lines of smokingpipes showing prices, and you would fill your cart as usual, but then be required to call and place the order over the phone.
Or would that still be technically selling tobacco online?
Just curious.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
There is a way around every rule they come up with. If people want it, they'll figure out a way to get it.
Everybody would have to go old school. I'm good with that.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Well, if there were no large on-line retailers to run the local brick & mortar stores out of business, then maybe some of the small local shops would do better and new shops would possibly open in some areas.
I don't think the FDA would succeed in shutting down on-line sales though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being old school myself, I'm always tempted to order by phone from the paper catalog, or actually use the order form insert in a paper catalog like Iwan Ries. Usually, I'm finally attracted to the convenience of clicking for what I want, but I'm willing to go the old fashioned route.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Back in the day , we didn’t purchase online , we would vote for our favourite weed and then send along a contribution to the cause
Oddly enough , a free gift would arrive in the mail ..

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Does this thread have any basis in reality?
I swear I've heard this brought up in other threads about FDA restrictions and regulations. It was not my intention to spread rumours. My understanding that it was 'coming down the line", but there was no timetable. I'm not trying to stir the pot here! :puffy:

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Does this thread have any basis in reality? Is the FDA threatening to restrict online sales?
No. The Jenkins Act--which predates the PACT Act by decades--restricted "online" (then mail order) sales of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. The FDA has not indicated that they have any interest in regulating interstate commerce in cigars, pipe tobacco, or electronic cigarettes. Indeed, I vaguely remember reading an answer to a question submitted during a comment period on something where they specifically said that this is outside of their remit.
So, no, FDA does not intend (nor has the authority) to restrict online sales of pipe tobacco. That would require an amendment to the Jenkins Act.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Oh good, then there is no rush... I can just keep procrastinating that huge order I was going to make of C&D products. There's no fear... anymore. :puffy:
Oh, gosh, I neglected to mention that the FDA has no intention of regulating interstate commerce in pipe tobacco, except for you, Cosmic...you, sir, are in their crosshairs. :)

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Banning on-line sales would be the same as banning interstate transactions - No phone or mail orders would be allowed either.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm glad to hear we don't have to worry about further overregulation of pipes and pipe tobacco by the FDA :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.