PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobd

Lurker
Dec 11, 2013
I am looking to buy my first pipe and am considering getting a Dr. Grabow. I am looking for advice on the topic. I have been reading a lot of yalls post and really enjoy the information yall have to offer so I just joined.

I am considering getting either the Omega, Savoy, a full bent, or a freehand. i also saw somewhere where dr. Grabow offered the duke in a bent. I am wondering which do yall prefer? Also, if i pack a full bowl on these how long could i expect to smoke? There are not any shops around here so i have to resort to the internet. Any information you have will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome Jacob!
I have a Duke (bent) ... not a bad smoker at all. I recently rusticated and restained mine too!
Depending on the baccy and how tight the pack and how fast the smoker mine burns a good 25-35 minutes. YMMV

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have three and love them all. I did have one of the omega pipes, this one I didn't care for to much. Stem was a poor P-Lip wanna be. They are good solid pipes. The biggest advice I could give is don't use the paper filters, they are junk. If you want to use the filter switch it out with a Savinelli balsa filter. It will give you a better smoke.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I agree with the good doctor as far as the Omega not being worth the burl from which it was carved. Mine is truly awful and the stem more or less closes after a few smokes, even with a cleaner run down it. I would recommend the Freehand. I have one and plan on purchasing at least one more. I do use the paper filters but I prefer the Medico filters over the Grabow filters but play around with it. You may like them, you may not. You may also like the balsa filters. You won't know until you try.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have two Dr. G's, a Belvedere straight billiard w/ stinger, which I don't really care for because of the stinger. It's a well made pipe, but I just can't stand stingers. And then I have Royalton 1/2 bent bulldog, this one I love! I would put it up against pipes many times it's price! It smokes cool, dry and smooth every time! I don't use filters in it either, nor do I use them in my Savs or MM pipes.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have a couple Grabows and a couple of Mr Brogs. They are both reasonably priced pipes but I personally like th eBrogs better.

Wouldn't hurt to check them out also before you buy.
Brog on Amazon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog and like it a lot. In that same price range, take a look at Chapuis-Comoy on

tobaccopipes.com, good pipes for just over $30, and at Brindisi on 4Noggins.com. These are good briar pipes at

low prices. Other options are estates, Mr. Brogs, and others. Cup O Joes has unfinished Savenelli pipes for

about $44. You have a lot of options.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My Dr Grabow Grand Duke is a solid good smoking pipe that I use Savinelli 6mm filters in. My Duke is small, Dunhill size 1, and is fed a diet of Luxury Navy Flake when flakes are in my favor. My Dr Grabow Omega is also a very good pipe, as is my Savoy, though I detest bent pipes. From the Pipes Magazine Radio Show we know that all Dr Grabows are made with high quality brier blocks shipped out of Greece by the same company that sends brier blocks to big name pipe makers.
I have two Mr Brog pipes, a churchwarden that is a silly small pipe that does not even fit a standard tamper, and a No. 51 Amigo that must have been made out of the one piece of pear wood that was substandard or flawed, because the sides of the pipe stay cool, but the front and back get so hot, it has discolored and bubbled up the light stain after only a few bowls.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome! I have an Omega which I have to confess I dont enjoy. However I own several more Grabows that I smoke regularly and love.

Off the choices you listed I think I'd also go the freehand route. If you decide you want to use the filters dont buy any. Just pm me your address and Ill send you a bunch.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I have a dr grabow and enjoy it. It also means a lot to me as it was my first pipe purchase also. Mine is a bent collector 2003, but also have a straight stem riviera, and a straight stem Viking and love them as well. I think they all smoke great. Good luck.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Love my Grabows, Grand Duke was my first briar and it is the pipe that helped me fall in love with this hobby. I also have two Freehands which is what I would recommend as a first, very comfortable pipes to smoke.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I just was thinning the herd and sent away a pipe that must by far be one of the best looking Grabows in existence. Yes a tall statement. But just wait for the pics. When the recipient gets his package I'm sure he will show it off. He collects Grabows and is somewhat a local expert in these parts.
They make so many pipes that its only natural that some are going to be dogs. At the same time if you go through enough if them there are some amazing ones out there.
If just getting first one, maybe a batch or box lot from the bidding site might be a good place for trial and error? Good inexpensive place to start.
I'm a fan in the Viscounts but that's just me.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
No G man your right. I LOVE my Viscount pot. It's a perfect pipe for clenching and just simmers whatever I put in it. It really seems to pull out Oriental's and bring them to the forefront differently then my other pipes.
It's the perfect size too...great for those tasty blends that you like but don't want to smoke for 30+ minutes.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have a Grand Duke rusticated billiard that smokes English blends like a dream. Not sure why this cheap pipe smokes so well but it does, even in the frigid cold it smokes cool and dry with no gurgle whatsoever. I absolutely love this little pipe. I say go for it as the cost won't set you back much.

jacobd

Lurker
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for all the advice. After much deliberation I am going with the dr. grabow savoy. I hope to get it soon. I considered the freehand but was drawn to the look of the savoy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's some pics of the before and after on my Dr Grabow rustication project.
Bear in mind that this is the first ever attempt ...
p1010002-150x112.jpg

p1010003-150x127.jpg

pipeboy122

Lifer
Jul 6, 2013
Jacob good luck with the savoy and welcome to the forums. Hope it brings you many wonderful smokes!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Dr. Grabow was a prolific pipe artisan. He made over a million pipes a year back in the day. His wrists and knuckles got sore after years of carving. So, being a doctor, he invented a salve that pipe makers now rub into their wrists and knuckles to take the hurt away. After Dr. Grabow passed away, many of the American pipe makers got together and decided to keep the famous Dr. Grabow name going. So, every year all of the professional American pipemakers set aside pipes they've made that don't quite make their top grade, stamp them with the Dr. Grabow name and then ship them to Dr. Grabow's son, Dr. Grabow, Junior. He then markets the pipes to fine drug stores all over the USA. So, when you get a Dr. Grabow pipe you are getting a fine pipe.
I forgot to mention; as part of the Dr. Grabow "Pre-Smoked" tradition, each American pipe artisan who makes a Dr. Grabow pipe smokes a bowl before shipping it off to Dr. Grabow, Jr.
Unfortunately, due to the secretive nature of the above, I cannot verify anything I just wrote.
Best,
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.